Creating Database on PE for CRUD operation

Creating Database on PE for CRUD operation

All,

Currently I'm Working on POC for one of the clients to make them to understand what the OutSystem is how it can benefit for the companies to develope an application faster.

I am trying to perfrom simple CRUD operation, I am not sure whether I can make use of an any existing Database in the PE environment or create my own Database on the Cloud(?) to be able to connect. 

I know it's very easy for On-Primise version to connect to the Db, but I wanted to achieve something like this on the PE.

Thank you,

Girish Deshi

Hi Girish,

I don't think I understand your question correctly...

You want to know how to create a database to create CRUD operations?

Outsystems is build on top of a DB (also on the PE) and you can just create entities in the Data tab of ServiceStudio which are in fact tables in the database.

You can then perform CRUD operations on these entities (and even use scaffolding to create the screens automatically)

If this answer doesn't reflect your question, please rephrase your question and maybe we can answer it better.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Hi Remco,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I completely understand the local entities and there operation, I've played around those lot.

I have requirement where I need to connect to external Db and do CRUD operation, I am thinking that is/are there any Db setup available to with PE so that I can create tables and do some CRUD operations. 

Have other question too,

Lets say I have Importing External Db entities into My development environment, are these entities are disconnected from there original tables from external Db?

Thank you,

Girish Deshi S

Solution

Hi Girish,

The Database Catalog feature (Service Center > Adminstration > Database Catalog) is not available on the Personal Environment.

If you have a license and you want to connect to an External Database, the tables can be used the same way as you are used to the entities in the PE, but the actual tables are in the external database.

If you want to import the data into your Outsystems database, you have to create a bootstrap function that directly imports from the Database (but then you need a license) or you export your data to Excel and you create an Excel bootstrap in Outsystems. This way you create some entities in your Outsystems database and you won't be needing the External Database any more.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Solution