Exit When Back is Pressed on Homescreen in Mobile App

Exit When Back is Pressed on Homescreen in Mobile App

With reference to https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/19572/exit-from-mobile-app/ I fully understand why an exit option is not normally provided. The thing is that's when my app automatically updates, when its first opened. Also bearing in mind my app doesn't reuiqre the user to log in to see the data. What is interesting is when you press the back button from the home screen after just opening the mobile app it closes but if you press it after navigating to the home screen from inside the app it doesn't. Is there any way off always closing the app once the back button is pressed from the home screen?

Hi Kenroy,

Its supposed the app to close once it reached the beginning of the navigation history.

If you navigate A -> B -> A -> C and press back 4 times the app should close.

Hello Kenroy,

Regarding the automatic updates of the mobile apps, they should happen as soon as the mobile app contacts the (updated) server. For example, if you're online and you navigate to a different screen.

There are however some cases when the app cannot be automatically updated on the device of the user, and you can read more about these situations here.

Paulo Ribeiro wrote:

Hello Kenroy,

Regarding the automatic updates of the mobile apps, they should happen as soon as the mobile app contacts the (updated) server. For example, if you're online and you navigate to a different screen.

There are however some cases when the app cannot be automatically updated on the device of the user, and you can read more about these situations here.

Thanks Paulo and just to be clear I have provided 3 forms of updating within the app but I will definitely add "on screen switch" to the app

João Neves wrote:

Hi Kenroy,

Its supposed the app to close once it reached the beginning of the navigation history.

If you navigate A -> B -> A -> C and press back 4 times the app should close.

I follow what you are saying but I'm talking about user experience. A person shouldn't have to back press through every single screen in the app to exit if they so choose. Also even providing the option to capture the backpress to display a confirmation message whether the person actually wants to exit as opposed to a mistake. I'm from Barbados and many of the phones here have poor specs and having more than 4 apps running sometime caused the phone to freeze. People should have the option to exit without the stress of A-B-A-C-A-D-E-A to exit

Take a look at this and see if it helps: http://www.outsystems.com/forge/Component_Overview.aspx?ProjectId=1805