Agile methodology

Agile methodology

We are new to Outsystems and will be starting our first project in a month or so.  For decades we have been a traditional coding shop following largely the documenting intense waterfall approach.  I'm wondering what some of you have done to transition similar shops to Agile methods before starting in with Outsystems?  Did you start with formal Agile methods training?  Which?  How did you insure discipline to follow the Agile methods and keep developers from lapsing into the familiar old ways of specifying and documenting everything up front before building anything?  How important is it to train them on and get them focused on a new formal Agile methodology beforehand?  Thanks in advance for your responses! 

Dave

Hi Dave,

I guess I can share with you some thoughts. Hope it can help you there.

I think that the most important thing is client's satisfaction. And the best way to do it is getting feedback as earlier as possible, and improving everything (resources, methods, apps, etc.) accordingly. Your team has to adapt to it somehow, but using client's satisfatcion as the main driver.

So, deliver working small pieces of software, make the client aware of the new approach and participate on everything.

Document? Processes? Methods? After some months of good results no client demands huge documents anymore.

I want to recommend read this new article about Agile, it includes info about experience of the development company. 

https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/what-is-agile-methodology--the-easiest-explanation-with-real-life-solutions

Hope you'll be impressed! 

I think the most important thing to implement Agile is commitment by the business, especially higher management. If they aer not comitted, it will not work.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.  

Clearly, client satisfaction based on delivering applications quickly and management commitment to the when and how are fundamental to success.    

I wonder if anyone can tell me specifically what Agile methods you are using, Scrum, Kanban, etc?  And did you introduce them by formal training? If so, how much and to whom?  Finally, when you began your first Agile project did you involve and Agile expert to insure proper use of the methods, or did you just rely on the pre-training?  

Thanks again, 

Dave

Hi Dave,

We use scrum. We had IT-people follow a scrum master training, and explained scrum to the business. We did not have any outside involvement, as we are a relatively small organisation.

Hi Dave,

I guess I can share with you some thoughts. Hope it can help you there.

Transitioning to agile methods is a difficult process. A firm grasp on principles can contribute towards the success of these methods. You can read articles about scrum, sprint planning and retrospective meetings.

David Hebert wrote:

We are new to Outsystems and will be starting our first project in a month or so.  For decades we have been a traditional coding shop following largely the documenting intense waterfall approach.  I'm wondering what some of you have done to transition similar shops to Agile methods before starting in with Outsystems?  Did you start with formal Agile methods training?  Which?  How did you insure discipline to follow the Agile methods and keep developers from lapsing into the familiar old ways of specifying and documenting everything up front before building anything?  How important is it to train them on and get them focused on a new formal Agile methodology beforehand?  Thanks in advance for your responses! 

Dave

Hello David,

Yes, you have a right approach in mind. 

I am Sameer, from OutSystems team (Global delivery) and we use agile approaches in delivering solutions (for or with Customers). First things first, please remember you are embarking on a journey and there's no definite destination - coupled with an agile technology.

Allow me to share a few things here if that I have used in my experience. 

• Training in the framework of your choice is important. If possible invest in a consultant that can help you first investigate what would be a good option for your context and then get the appropriate training (both for business and IT side in your organization). At OutSystems, we do agile in a day workshop for our customers that identify the need.
  • We use our tailored flavor of agile delivery. If interested, here's the approach outlined.
  • If you (or anyone here in the community) are interested in learning about these principles and practices, especially how we apply it in the OutSystems context (product, delivery) and would benefit from them - let me know and we can help create specific content that can help you.
  • Kilian, Liza shared a few items that can be helpful, in addition to that there are certification communities and their sites where you can get the information from. It's easy to drown in that sea of information, so someone understanding your context and the problem you have at hand is vital.
  • In addition to these, using lean experiments and focusing on customers is important. UX provides a way for it. Here's something to get you started on it.
  • Patience: You and the group will be initially frustrated, but just remember to inspect and adapt. 

Wishing you all the best. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Regards,

Sameer Bendre | Engagement Manager, Americas LinkedIn