[Cases] Native v10 app on the horizon?

[Cases] Native v10 app on the horizon?

Forge Component
(10)
Published on 2 Oct (3 weeks ago) by António Barros
10 votes
Published on 2 Oct (3 weeks ago) by António Barros

Just curious - are you all creating a fully native v10 Cases app?

I really like it, the desktop, tablet, and mobile web work nicely. But, we are going to need a native phone app with offline support.

Any chance you are building that now?

Thanks and nice work!

Hello Bruce,

with OutSystems 10 you can build applications that take full advantage of all the device sensors and easily build offline applications. When you start building an application, choose mobile instead of web and that gets you on your way.

Bruce Buttles wrote:

Just curious - are you all creating a fully native v10 Cases app?

I really like it, the desktop, tablet, and mobile web work nicely. But, we are going to need a native phone app with offline support.

Any chance you are building that now?

Thanks and nice work!

Stacy,

I just asked this as a direct question, but far better to have in the forum and more visible to all.

Sorry to hijack bruce, but I think my question is the same as yours, but with a stress on the 'offline' bit - I understand that the native mobile app can use the local storage and use the pre-built data sync classes which all works really well.

But can such a 'native mobile app' be launched entirely offline? I know the screens are single page applications - stress on the 'page' bit, so perhaps online is always needed initially.

I was rather hoping a fully native app could have a lifecycle of, essential bit in green.
1) Online: user installs from store
2) Online: user runs app and carries out initial data sync
3) Online/Offline: user closes app
4) Offline: user launches app and uses it  <-- Possible?????
5) Online: when network available user synchronizes data. (tested and works very nicely!)

I need the offline program launch bit. Perhaps as the native app is still essentially still a webpage(s) this isn't possible.

Thanks,
Danny 

Danny O'Neill wrote:

Stacy,

I just asked this as a direct question, but far better to have in the forum and more visible to all.

Sorry to hijack bruce, but I think my question is the same as yours, but with a stress on the 'offline' bit - I understand that the native mobile app can use the local storage and use the pre-built data sync classes which all works really well.

But can such a 'native mobile app' be launched entirely offline? I know the screens are single page applications - stress on the 'page' bit, so perhaps online is always needed initially.

I was rather hoping a fully native app could have a lifecycle of, essential bit in green.
1) Online: user installs from store
2) Online: user runs app and carries out initial data sync
3) Online/Offline: user closes app
4) Offline: user launches app and uses it  <-- Possible?????
5) Online: when network available user synchronizes data. (tested and works very nicely!)

I need the offline program launch bit. Perhaps as the native app is still essentially still a webpage(s) this isn't possible.

Thanks,
Danny 

Hello Danny,

The offline scenario that you are describing it's totally possible and the most usual one.

Tell me if you need any help. 

Cheers

Hi Magda,

That's great news. Don't worry about further help, as long as it is known that an app can launch while a phone is fully offline and all the screens, menus, offline data and logic function fine, then I'll trust you! I'll finish working through the learning materials and I expect the architecture which allows this will become clear.

Whilst I'm from development background, I've never used such a low-code environment, so very naive to the outsystems capabilities. The concern arose after I tried to launch the 'To Do' example application build during the online course, I tried this with my phone on airplane mode and noticed that it just errored during launch and was inoperative. I guess the app built during that tutorial has something about it which I am yet to understand (am just half way through the course!)

Thanks,
Danny