Help with implementing another Dropdown list inside a Dropdown Menu

Help with implementing another Dropdown list inside a Dropdown Menu

I actually have a simple question that I’m hoping someone may know the answer to. Currently in one of my environments I am trying to make an extra dropdown list inside a menu item. Basically, what I’m trying to do is break up my menus into categories and then inside one of the categories there are a few pages which still need to be broken up into additional subcategories. Currently I’m having trouble implementing the subcategory as a dropdown. It will act as if the subcategory is already clicked and won’t show any of the children of that menu item. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish my goal?

I will provide a few screenshots to help clarify my issue and use an examples with just “Test” pages. Here I have two menu categories (or menu items): Test Pages and Test Letters. They both contain 3 pages, with Test Pages containing Test, Test2 and Test3 and Test Letters containing TestA, TestB and TestC. Here is a screenshot of the menu tree pane to see what I mean.

For my purposes, Test Letters are still Test Pages at their core. What I’m trying to accomplish is putting the Test Letters dropdown under Test Pages, while still having test pages A, B and C under the Test Letters DropDownMenu. This way, the Test Pages DropDownMenu should contain Test, Test2, Test3 and TestLetters with TestLetters being a dropdown menu containing TestA, TestB and TestC. I will provide a text example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Bold means they are a Dropdown Menu.

Test Pages

- Test 1

- Test 2

- Test 3

- Test Letters ---> * Test A

* Test B

* Test C

This helps keep them better organized and for what I’m trying to do in my current project, would make it much easier for the end user to find the proper page they are searching for. When I try to accomplish this, I get the TestLetters DropDownMenu being unusable. It does not show any of its children and thus hides essential pages from being seen. It has the appearance also as if it's already been opened, but as mentioned before it does not show any children. I will provide a screenshot of the tree pane to show you how I’m implementing it and what it looks like on the end screen.

Please let me know if anything above becomes unclear or needs better explanation. To help explain the second screenshot for the example directly above (or the third screenshot provided in the post), I am not able to even click on the TestLetters dropdown to see its menu items. This is what I am seeing when I open up Test Pages to view the items below it. This is why I was wondering if anyone may know how to make TestLetters act as a proper DropdownMenu and allow me to see the items contained inside it to choose from.

Due to company policies, I will not be able to attach my environment to this post. Hopefully the screenshots and examples above provide enough clarity into what I am trying to accomplish. I am currently using OS version 9.1.300.0 in case that may help. Hope to hear from someone soon! Thanks in advance.

Hi Sean,

Seems like you are looking for a tree like structure with 2 levels ? you can do this implementation bu using webblocks.

For example 

You have Menu entity

Menu Id  Name

1               Admin

2              Customer

And You have another entity SubMenu

Sub MenuID Menu Id Name

1                      1         Create User

2                       2        View Customer

3                       2         Add New Customer

Now what you have to do is Create first webblock and get All Menu from the first entity , create one more webblock pass MenuID as input in it and get all the submenu in this webblock for the passed input menuid.

Put the second webblock inside first after the main menu.

You may need to use some java script css to so active menu and expand collapse also.

I hope you understand this , if you have any issue please let me know i will create an example for you and attach with my reply.

Regards

-PJ-

Pramod Jain wrote:

Hi Sean,

Seems like you are looking for a tree like structure with 2 levels ? you can do this implementation bu using webblocks.

For example 

You have Menu entity

Menu Id  Name

1               Admin

2              Customer

And You have another entity SubMenu

Sub MenuID Menu Id Name

1                      1         Create User

2                       2        View Customer

3                       2         Add New Customer

Now what you have to do is Create first webblock and get All Menu from the first entity , create one more webblock pass MenuID as input in it and get all the submenu in this webblock for the passed input menuid.

Put the second webblock inside first after the main menu.

You may need to use some java script css to so active menu and expand collapse also.

I hope you understand this , if you have any issue please let me know i will create an example for you and attach with my reply.

Regards

-PJ-

Hi Pramod,

Thanks for the quick reply! If it's no hassle, would you mind creating an example of what you mean? I want to make sure I fully understand what you are saying and based on your example I would like to see how practical this would be to use inside my environment since I would need to use this more than once.

Thanks,
Sean

Ok , let me see how soon i can create an example fro you , i have got really tight schedule these days but will try to create one for you asap.

Regards

-PJ-