How to send sms in plain english

How to send sms in plain english

If all I want to do is send sms messages to phones with no processing of responses, can someone tell me what is involved in doing this in plain English?  Note I don't want to do it via email to their phone number. Please do not put in links to other documents/pages. 

Hi Jason,

To give an answer without pointing to other resources will be difficult, but I'll try. 

There are two options, the simplest one is that you are going to use an SMS provider like Messagebird or CM.  On those sites you can read in which way you can connect using simple mail or an API.

The second option is setting up an SMS server yourself. This involves adding a device to your server that integrates a SIM card in your server and the server can then be used to send messages. There is an explanation on the OutSystems forums on how to set this up, but without links I can't point you there. 

Hope this helps, otherwise let us know where you get stuck. 

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Twilio is VERY easy to use. Sign up for an account with them, get your API key, and consume their REST service like any other REST service in OutSystems... takes about 10 minutes to be sending SMS through them. I am sure there is a connector on the Forge for it as well, not sure what it has in it though, or if it adds any value other than saving you the time to copy/paste the REST stuff in yourself.

J.Ja

I have used Twilio connector and it is very easy to use.

So for sites such as Twillo - you pay per message sent?

Hi Jason,

That is correct, some have prepaid subscriptions and others use an invoice at the end of the month. 

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga