Input date component not user friendly in some android phones

Input date component not user friendly in some android phones

The default Outsystems input date component in android for some phones like Samsung is as shown in attached screenshot image. The problem is that users don't know how to change the year. If we click on the mentioned year (screenshot: 1992), year drop down opens, but users are not aware of this. The year also is not underlined to indicate that it a link and has an action associated with it. The date component is not user friendly.

Any alternate solution available for input date component for these kind of phones ?

Any help please..

Any help or suggestions ?

Hi Kartick,

the input you are seeing for a date type is the Android native input of the device you are using, it is not a custom implementation.

As an alternative, you can use the calendar widget from Silk and add it to a Popup widget (check the example oml attached). Does it solve your problem?

Regards,

António Pereira

Hello Kartick,

That calendar widget that appears when you tap a date input is provided by Android and not OutSystems. That is why the look and feel of that calendar widget may be different depending on the brand of the smartphone or version of Android.

Perhaps it could help a bit if you are able to provide better default dates (so the users don't need to change the year)? Or you could have a different numeric input just for the year... Either way, I am aware that these solutions are not great.

Perhaps someone else has other ideas.

Thanks Antonio, this pop-up date picker is slightly better than the native one. But I noticed that, when you tap on the input date component for the first time, the pop-up calendar is opening, then tap on close button , then tap on input date component again, then native date picker is opening for the second time. Can you please verify ? 

Solution

Hi Kartick,

I've found a way to prevent the native date picker but I only tested it on Android 6 and last iOS (oml is attached). Ensure it is working on your target mobile devices.

Regards,

António Pereira

Solution

Thanks Antonio, it works fine now.

But if you find any other better solution for date picker for Android, please let me know.