[Extended Metamodel] Very fragile component

[Extended Metamodel] Very fragile component

Forge Component
(1)
Published on 26 May by Carlos Alfaro
1 vote
Published on 26 May by Carlos Alfaro

Hi,

Can you at least add a very big disclaimer to the component that it may break with any platform upgrade?

I'm really worried into getting broken installations and getting any big applications dependent into this information that is only meant to be internal. ..Changes to them won't even be listem in the breaking changes documents as usages of internal tables is not suported at all.

What will happen in the next version if those entities are removed or access to them is cut completely?

Regards,

João Rosado

Hi João,

Thank you, you are completely correct, I published this component in a hurry and haven't had time to really document it as it deserves.

By the way, most of the Metamodel tables exposed by this component are rather benign, such as REST_Expose and REST_Web_Reference, is there a rational for not being public?

Once again thanks for the comment.

CA

Those in partucular are not public because configurations (all of them) are in the roadmap to be rewritten. The probability of most configuration tables to be modified or even removed on the next majors is really high.

So currently there are no new public entities being created until a public and stable API is made available for them.

Regards,

João Rosado

Joao,

Most of the internal tables didn't change for a lot of versions, and when its impossible to get what you want using the official way, its very tempting to use the unofficial direct sql way ;-). It would be nice if OutSystems would provide a bit more support on this, with offcoarse the knowledge that with every update the model can change.. 

Going the API way is always the preferred way, but when no API is available, and a request from a customer (internal or external) is there, you have to find a way to address this question.. 

regards,

Wim

Hi João,

Thank you for the clarification, I understand the need for prudence when exposing such low-level APIs, but as Wim said, these tables have really not changed for quite some time.

Maybe some more openness with regards on the fabled roadmap could help, even if it's only some heads-up on what is planned to be changed.

Regards,

CA