[OutGource] Feedback

[OutGource] Feedback

  
Forge Component
(8)
Published on 9 Jun by Caio Santana
8 votes
Published on 9 Jun by Caio Santana

I would appreciate feedback on this component. If you have installed and used OutGource, please post your insights.


Thank you.

Your demo appears to be broken so you can't try anything.  We're still using 9.0 so we haven't been able to use it in house yet.

Rebecca Hall wrote:

Your demo appears to be broken so you can't try anything.  We're still using 9.0 so we haven't been able to use it in house yet.

Hello, Rebecca.


You're right. The demo was broken because my Personal Environment has been upgraded to P10 and OutGource had been developed for 9.1.


I've spent the day doing some reverse engineering to adapt the OML-to-Log conversion code to recognize the new features and released a P10 version. The demo should be working now.


Thanks for your interest!


It nice to see a chart outlining when changes are happening.  We have a large number of applications in our environment and it would be nice to group these applications by the teams from Lifetime.  It would also be nice to see a bar or something on the charts showing when an application was published/released to another environment.

Rebecca Hall wrote:

It nice to see a chart outlining when changes are happening.  We have a large number of applications in our environment and it would be nice to group these applications by the teams from Lifetime.  It would also be nice to see a bar or something on the charts showing when an application was published/released to another environment.

To accomplish it there should have an integration with lifetime, so the tags could match the oml versions. Nice suggestion.


Does this works for Java environment as well?

sivaramakrishna repalle wrote:

Does this works for Java environment as well?

Unfortunately, no. The xif uses .NET DLLs in order to decode the OML structure. If I had access to a Java stack environment, I'd have taken a look into it to make it Java-compatible.

Hehe, looks nice.


Even though the amount of reverse engineering is very scary.

What information are you using from the OML that is not available in the OutDoc API (MetamodelApi extension)?


Regards,
João Rosado

João Rosado wrote:

Hehe, looks nice.


Even though the amount of reverse engineering is very scary.

What information are you using from the OML that is not available in the OutDoc API (MetamodelApi extension)?


Regards,
João Rosado


Hi, João!


There are a couple of reasons.


Most importantly, I've had serious issues when trying to generate massive amounts of documentations using OutDoc, including an IIS crash. Here's a thread where I reported it: http://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/19605/espacemetamodel-corruptfile-error-and-iis-crash/


OutGource needs to read all versions of eSpaces in order to generate changelog and proper statistics. In our environment, some eSpaces have over 3000+ versions.


The second reason is speed. When I dug into OutDoc, I've noticed the documentation function goes through too many layers that slowed down the process and weren't relevant to what I wanted to achieve in OutGource. 20 seconds per eSpace version was way too much time, specially when we take into account those eSpaces with 3000+ versions (that would be approx. 17 hours each!).


Third (but a minor one) is that OutGource does not need any dependencies. Had I used OutDoc, I'd have also added an unneeded dependence to GraphViz Services.


Thanks.