[Geofence Plugin] Responsiveness of entering and exitting geofence

[Geofence Plugin] Responsiveness of entering and exitting geofence

Forge Component
(0)
Published on 18 May by OutSystems Experts
0 votes
Published on 18 May by OutSystems Experts

Hi,

Could someone possibly explain the responsiveness of the notification and EnterRegion/ExitRegion events?

I'm trying out this plugin but am noticing that triggering of both notification and events is somewhat random. Sometimes quickly (as if it has stored a previous location), and sometimes not at all.

How often is the location retrieved in the plugin or how often will it trigger the notification and events? Or are there settings I need to take into account?

Feedback would be very welcome!

regards,

Roeland

Hi all,

After some testing...

As it seems, and in one way or another emphasized in comments residing on the Github site, you should avoid a too small radius of the geofence.

Advise is to create a geofence of at least 500m or perhaps larger. The frequency of the location check isn't high (for the good reason to avoid high battery consumption).

Therefore entering and exitting a geofence can remain unnoticed. Other than that the notification works excellent.

Only thing left would be to trigger something like a webservice call to notify a server entering or exitting a geofence rather than displaying a notification on the mobile phone. Suggestions are welcome!!

Cheers,

Roeland

Roeland Deichsel wrote:

Hi all,

After some testing...

As it seems, and in one way or another emphasized in comments residing on the Github site, you should avoid a too small radius of the geofence.

Advise is to create a geofence of at least 500m or perhaps larger. The frequency of the location check isn't high (for the good reason to avoid high battery consumption).

Therefore entering and exitting a geofence can remain unnoticed. Other than that the notification works excellent.

Only thing left would be to trigger something like a webservice call to notify a server entering or exitting a geofence rather than displaying a notification on the mobile phone. Suggestions are welcome!!

Cheers,

Roeland

Hi Roeland

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of your test app?I have been trying to develop a test app to try out the plugin but have had no success on getting the notifications upon entering or leaving a region (I can however register and remove geofences just fine). Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Carlos LSJ

Carlos Lopez wrote:

Roeland Deichsel wrote:

Hi all,

After some testing...

Cheers,

Roeland

Hi Roeland

Would it be possible for me to get a copy of your test app?I have been trying to develop a test app to try out the plugin but have had no success on getting the notifications upon entering or leaving a region (I can however register and remove geofences just fine). Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Carlos LSJ

Hi Carlos,

Just back from holiday. I will try to isolate the code in a test app since it has already been integrated in our app. 

Separate to the radius you should also consider a polling frequency of about 15 minutes. In other words, it can take a while before the notification is triggered. You should take that into account when you are testing it.

cheers,

Roeland

Roeland Deichsel wrote:

Carlos Lopez wrote:

Roeland Deichsel wrote:

Hi all,

After some testing...

Cheers,

Roeland

Hi Roeland

Regards,

Carlos LSJ

Hi Carlos,

Just back from holiday. I will try to isolate the code in a test app since it has already been integrated in our app. 

Separate to the radius you should also consider a polling frequency of about 15 minutes. In other words, it can take a while before the notification is triggered. You should take that into account when you are testing it.

cheers,

Roeland

Hi Roeland

Thank you so much for the kind replay. I will take into account the polling interval. All the best

Warm reagards,

CLSJ