Video call on mobile

Video call on mobile

Has anyone successfully implemented in a mobile OutSystems app a video call capability for Android and iOS?

Possible approaches could include (in descending preference):

• OpenTok (In the Forge there is an OpenTok Connector for Web, but not one for mobile)
  • WebRTC (not supported yet in Safari, but scheduled to be in Safari Release 11)
  • Linking to another system such as Skype, Oovoo, Zoom, etc.

I'm currently developing in personal environment.  Thank you!

Hi JM,

I've only used a link to Skype with the following Skype Url: 

skype:<username|phonenumber>[?[add|call|chat|sendfile|userinfo]]

I've never tried the other solutions.

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga

Thank you, Remco.  I've been experimenting with the Skype URL you suggested, using the InAppBrowser component.  I'm able to get it working on Android phone, but I haven't tested on iOS yet.  

However, if Skype is already running on the Android phone, this doesn't work - apparently it is trying to launch Skype and place the call, rather than just place the call.  

Are you using something other than InAppBrowser to link to Skype?  Any other guidance on this, and how I can make it work if Skype is already running on the user's phone?  Thanks again!

-- Joel

Hi Joel,

When Skype is installed, the Skype app will be used. In theory you can disable this somewhere in the configuration of your phone, but then you can't use your skype app for urls in your browser. It's a manual setting that needs to be done by everybody using your app, so not really useful.

On the other hand, why do you want to use the inappbrowser when you can use the real Skype app. In iOS you get a back link to return to your own app, which is very convenient. 

Kind regards,

Remco Dekkinga