Applying MS Access database format to outsystems web app - what are the limitations

Applying MS Access database format to outsystems web app - what are the limitations

Hi all,

being very new to this platform Im failing fast in a bid to learn as much as possible about building an app for my expanding cleaning business. Essentially I'd like to build a Customer/Business Management System if possible! Already been using MS Access 2007, but it has some limitations.  

Im putting it out there to ask if I can shortcut the construction process. Has anyone copied an MS Access (2007) database to this platform? Wondering if its even possible. My Access database is built with tables of data, using forms for data input, and summarising data using standard reports. Controls used on forms are buttons with macros and VB code written in. Is it possible to use this platform for large database applications that would replace a complex MS Access database? 

Really looking forward to any suggestions. 

GR

Hi GR

You can accelerate the process in two different ways:

1. Export the Access DB to Excel and import it in ServiceStudio
  2. If using SQL Server as your platform database, you can create a link from SQL Server to Access and then use it as an external database in the platform. In this case you don't need to create the connection in ServiceCenter, just use the platform connection and choose the linked DB in the databases list.

Gr Dav wrote:

My Access database is built with tables of data, using forms for data input, and summarising data using standard reports. Controls used on forms are buttons with macros and VB code written in. Is it possible to use this platform for large database applications that would replace a complex MS Access database? 

Hi GR,

The platform, together with e.g. an MS-SQL database, is very well suited for large database applications, much better than an Access database. You can very well re-build your forms in an Outsystems applications, using Screens. You can rewrite the macro and VB-code executed by pressing a button to Screen Actions, triggered by a button or other control on your screen, See: https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Reference/Web_Interfaces. More basic logic that you need to re-use from multiple placed can be put in an Action on the Logic tab (https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Implement_Application_Logic/Encapsulate_Logic_and_Reuse_It).