What is the impact of unrestricted growth of filegroup in SQL server 2008?

What is the impact of unrestricted growth of filegroup in SQL server 2008?

Dear All,

I am facing the issue of " filegroup is full for 'ABC' database" in SQL server.

If I change the auto-growth of file group to unrestricted mode, then what will be the impact.

Hi Mayuri,

Where are you facing this issue? While creating new entities? While publishing? or while adding new record from the application?

Please provide more details.

Hello Mayuri, 

You can use the DBCleaner to check what is eating up your database space (logs, espaces, etc).
In any case, you need to check if setting up Unrestricted is an option. Some licenses have a database size limit (like 10GB) and you will not be able to overcome this limitation without a new license. 

For personals the size limit is 2GB.

The impacts of allowing the database file to growth "out of control" are usually you ending up without space in your hard drives, performance issues, etc. Remember that every time the file "growths", your applications suffer a performance penalty during this process as the database becomes a little unresponsive. 

The best approach is to manually control the size using the auto growth only as a last resort for sudden growths not foreseeing.

If the problem is not "data", but espaces versions, for example, you can use the DBCleaner or the Service Studio to delete old versions and keep the database size under control.

If the problem is the logs, than you can manage them so that they cycle fast and use some applications to delete old entries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Eduardo

Suraj Borade wrote:

Hi Mayuri,

Where are you facing this issue? While creating new entities? While publishing? or while adding new record from the application?

Please provide more details.

Hi Suraj,

This is our datamart and we are adding new records/data in the database through the Pentaho application ETLs. The version we are using it Microsoft SQL server 2008R. The error I am facing is:-

Could not allocate space for object 'AAA' in database 'ABC' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

Disc is NTFS system and 200 GB space availablle in it.

I just want the impact of unrestricted filegroup mode. Please help me on it.

Hi Mayuri ,

You can also see this post ..it may help you .

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/9539/sql-server-database-error-primary-filegroup-is-full/

Regards

-PJ-