What is your favourite error in out systems and how did you resloved it?

What is your favourite error in out systems and how did you resloved it?

Hi all,

I am existed to know about the different types of errors you faced while development.

If you had any error, Which you think critical, then please post the way u solved it.

Thanks,

Rocky

There are always many errors, but no one remembers them. "The best error is that one that got solved."

I remember a very stupid one, I selected the wrong date type (a structure with the same name as a basic type or something like that) and reported the error because everything seemed fine, but it refused to let me do 1-Click-Publish.

Nuno Reis wrote:

There are always many errors, but no one remembers them. "The best error is that one that got solved."

I remember a very stupid one, I selected the wrong date type (a structure with the same name as a basic type or something like that) and reported the error because everything seemed fine, but it refused to let me do 1-Click-Publish.

Haha..awesome . 1000 thanks to you for reply

Thanks,

Rocky 

String or binary content will be truncated. (or something like that).

When I started I keep looking which problem this was, now I directly know you are adding to much characters in an entity text attribute type. So you have to look which entity (is given in the error) and search where the create or createOrUpdate is used and do a length check before the save action

And like Nuno says: I've seen a lot of errors during the years, but a lot of them are solved (-:

O and don't change a data type from an existing entity attribute in a table (espicially the tables with a lot of data). OS tries to convert the existing data to the new data type which mostly gives errors when deploying to production (since development/test environments in general have less data that needs to be converted).

When an attribute data type needs to be changed I always add a new attribute with the correct data type and convert the data by a proces (with validate checks) from the old attribute to the new attribute.

Evert van der Zalm wrote:

O and don't change a data type from an existing entity attribute in a table (espicially the tables with a lot of data). OS tries to convert the existing data to the new data type which mostly gives errors when deploying to production (since development/test environments in general have less data that needs to be converted).

When an attribute data type needs to be changed I always add a new attribute with the correct data type and convert the data by a proces (with validate checks) from the old attribute to the new attribute.

Really.. Is this the only way we have in this scenario?

Thanks,

Rocky 

Well... I'm going to have to say that it's not OutSystems converting the data types. It's the database itself (SqlServer/Oracle/MySql). And, of course, if the database is large, it will take a while.

There's a predefined timeout for these database operations, but it can be customized to be very large in such scenarios.

Also, copying the values manually to a different field won't make the whole process faster, it just won't block the deployment. The advantage is that you can do very complex restructuring of your schema. But the disadvantage is that your application needs to be resilient to having the new fields uninitialized for a while.

Leonardo Fernandes wrote:

Well... I'm going to have to say that it's not OutSystems converting the data types. It's the database itself (SqlServer/Oracle/MySql). And, of course, if the database is large, it will take a while.

There's a predefined timeout for these database operations, but it can be customized to be very large in such scenarios.

Also, copying the values manually to a different field won't make the whole process faster, it just won't block the deployment. The advantage is that you can do very complex restructuring of your schema. But the disadvantage is that your application needs to be resilient to having the new fields uninitialized for a while.

Thank you for sharing your great knowledge. 

Thanks,

Rocky

My favourite error is while generating XML files.

Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Solution: For this what I was missing was that I needed to use function ToObject() before converting to xml object.