Write content in text widget

Write content in text widget

Hi,

Ok so im new to outsystems and I have never used the 'text' widget before. Now what i have done is I simply dragged it and dropped it in my sreen. Now im not able to write inside it. it doesn't show anything either. What is it that Im missing. How can I write inside the text widget container?

Solution

Hello hafsa,

I'm failing to see what "Text Widget" is.

A "text" is simply what you type directly into the screen canvas. You don't drag and drop it. This will inject text direct into the HTML, or inside a SPAN if you provide style to it through the Style property or Extended Properties. If after type, you see the "Text" there, as if it is a widget, and than you erase all the text, the "text widget" will disappear.

Than you have the Expression and Label widgets, but they are visible when you drag and drop them into the canvas.

Anyway, if you are really dragging something to the canvas and is not being able to see it (this happens with links when you drag and drop them without a content), you can see anything in the Widget Tree of the Web Screen.

So, you can always look in there to find the element/widget you are looking for.

Hope this helps. But if not, could you be more specific? Maybe a few images showing the "text widget" you are trying to put in the screen that you are not allowed to insert text nor shows anything?

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello hafsa,

I'm failing to see what "Text Widget" is.

A "text" is simply what you type directly into the screen canvas. You don't drag and drop it. This will inject text direct into the HTML, or inside a SPAN if you provide style to it through the Style property or Extended Properties. If after type, you see the "Text" there, as if it is a widget, and than you erase all the text, the "text widget" will disappear.

Than you have the Expression and Label widgets, but they are visible when you drag and drop them into the canvas.

Anyway, if you are really dragging something to the canvas and is not being able to see it (this happens with links when you drag and drop them without a content), you can see anything in the Widget Tree of the Web Screen.

So, you can always look in there to find the element/widget you are looking for.

Hope this helps. But if not, could you be more specific? Maybe a few images showing the "text widget" you are trying to put in the screen that you are not allowed to insert text nor shows anything?

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

Thank you for clarification. That solved my problem but again what is the purpose "Text Area " in left most side of widget box? Thats making me confuse now.

Cheers,

Hafsa

Hi hfasa,

Indeed, there is a text widget that is not shown in the toolbox with the rest of the widgets. You can just start writing in the web editor and a text widget will be created with your text.

There is already an idea in the community to add this Text widget in the toolbox here:
https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/2757/add-plain-text-to-the-widget-toolbox

We will be working on this soon! I'll keep you posted ;)

Cheers

Hi Hafsa

Do you mean the "abc Text". It is the name of the widget, so you can click on it after typing something and add extended properties, for example.

If you are talking about something else, let us know.

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hi Hafsa

Do you mean the "abc Text". It is the name of the widget, so you can click on it after typing something and add extended properties, for example.

If you are talking about something else, let us know.

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

Attached is the screenshot of what im asking.

Vasco Pessanha wrote:

Hi hfasa,

Indeed, there is a text widget that is not shown in the toolbox with the rest of the widgets. You can just start writing in the web editor and a text widget will be created with your text.

There is already an idea in the community to add this Text widget in the toolbox here:
https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/2757/add-plain-text-to-the-widget-toolbox

We will be working on this soon! I'll keep you posted ;)

Cheers

That would be great but for  now I'm talking about the attached screenshot.

Hi Hafsa,

The TextArea widget is used to allow users to input a lot of data (multiple lines), for example adding notes or a description in a form.

Check if this documentation helps you:
https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Reference/Mobile_Interfaces/Designing_Screens/Text_Area

Cheers

Vasco Pessanha wrote:

Hi Hafsa,

The TextArea widget is used to allow users to input a lot of data (multiple lines), for example adding notes or a description in a form.

Check if this documentation helps you:
https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Reference/Mobile_Interfaces/Designing_Screens/Text_Area

Cheers

well yes, but i cant input any data when i use this. Thats what im saying. :(

You are trying to input data directly in runtime (in the browser) right? Is the text area disabled or readonly?

If you want just send me a simple oml so that I better understand what is the problem.

Cheers,

Hi,

The only reason I can see to not being able to input information there is that the "Text Area" is disabled (Enabled = False). Unless you have any other problem in the page...

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch