Using Mobile Web Timer widget

Using Mobile Web Timer widget

I have to develop a mobile application that needs a client-side redirect. This mobile application will be used by WML and XHTML phone browsers.

Searching service studio help, I find out that the object that Outsystems provide for this kind of feature is the mobile web timer widget.

My questions are:
- This widget works in WML and XHTML phone browsers?
- This widget works in all devices registered in your device database?
- There are any capability that references the device support of this feature?
- If this widget doesn't work in all devices, there are any other option to develop a client-side redirect in a mobile application?

Thanks in advance,

-- Luís Costa
Hi Luis,
I'm not quite sure if the Timer widget is what you need for the client side redirect you're trying to do.

If you use an External Link as the destination of a screen action then a 'client-side' redirect will be sent to the browser. When using External Links with Link widgets on a screen a direct link will also be rendered.

As for the Timer widget, the timer widget tries to change the rendered screen so that after a specified amount of time the browser will navigate to a new page. We've implemented the Timer widget for WML, CHTML, HTML and XHTML.

The WML implementation uses the "ontimer" event which is usually well supported among WML browsers.

HTML based renderers rely on browser support for META tags in the HEAD element. Although by default we turn this feature on, we can't vouch for every browser out there.

We have found devices where the page works, other leave the page on screen, and other popup an error message.

WML rendering does not check any capabilities before rendering the ontimer tag as it is part of the WML 1.1. HTML based renderers check the "supportsMetaRefresh" capability which is set to "true" by default.

If any of these approaches does not work for you let us know. You can always use an extension to render an HTTP 302 or HTTP 303 Status Code (as appropriate for the device).

Best regards,
Marco Cunha