custom validation message input fields?

custom validation message input fields?

Hi,

In my web application, I am using extended properties for number field.

If i enter invalid number, i am getting the validation message.

Since I am using decimal variable i am getting "decimal expected".

Similarly for integer "integer expected" and date "date expected" is displayed.

Can we customize this message?

Hi Sekar,

Here you apply max property to 99 and entering value 100, that's why you are getting this error.

If you want to change the error message you can do this using 2 options

1) Select the projectName and go to the property and set validation messages for given types

2) Add your own validation message in screen action.

The easier way is to change the validation from Client & Server to Server, do the validations server side and than set the messages accordingly your validations.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

You can find validation messages into this image 

Hello Gopal,

The problem in changing the default Client & Server validation messages, is that you can't customize messages for the same type field for different errors.
The idea of error messages (best practice) is to give as much information as possible to the user.

So, while in this case you could set a prompt to tell the user what is expected in the input, the same message will be applied in different errors.

To a better UX, when talking about messages, server side validations provide you with the possibility of customize the message field by field, for different errors.

Now is a question of choosing between UX or performance.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hello Eduardo, 

thanks for explanation.

But If we validate message on server side then page will go to the server, validate, comeback and shows error(Its a round trip). So It will take more time, is their any other way to validate on client side?

Gopal Jite wrote:

Hello Eduardo, 

thanks for explanation.

But If we validate message on server side then page will go to the server, validate, comeback and shows error(Its a round trip). So It will take more time, is their any other way to validate on client side?

Usually this is not a big problem.
If its a concern, than you have to prepare your own JavaScript to do the custom validation client side

In any case, you still need to keep server side validations, for security reasons.

Eduardo Jauch

Yes, for security its good to validate on server side.