How to better display data

How to better display data

Hi,

I am trying to make my design more user friendly and look more presentable.

Currently, i have a huge data with fixed 5 categories (each probably have 100 records) to be display. I am using table record (4 columns) to display it but i realised that it look pretty ugly. Pretty lost on what i can do to make it nicer, any advices please??

Hi Jace,

I like your question :)

It depends what the use-case is

- why do you want to show so much information at all?

- what is the busines-process you want to help?

- Does to user actually needs to see all 100 records?

- What does the user needs to click/decide how it processes those records.

- Is it desktop, tablet, mobile?

- what persons are they (old,  young, stressed etc.)

For example: if the user needs to work on the first record, updates it and continues to the next.

it really has no use to show all 100.

The biggest challenge in user-friendly deisgn is to convince people/end-users they really DON'T need to see everything... they have to trust the system, if they are trusting the system, you can work with less information and achieving the same goals.

Also, please provide some screenshots so we can see how it looks now.

Very nice response J.

There is a choice between everything vs user friendly design or Usability. This is very common problem i have seen, usually when people are not sure what they really need.

Shashank... 

Hi,

- why do you want to show so much information at all?

For an instance, some people like to search for the specific thing they want to look for, some prefer to look at the information page by page. 

- Does to user actually needs to see all 100 records?

Yes, like i mention, it will depend on individual preference. For example an ecommerce site, they have alot of different kind of product with categorisation. Some will use search function to find specific product, some will take their time to look at all the products available.

- What does the user needs to click/decide how it processes those records.

Using the example above, when user click on the records, it will direct them to the product information.

- Is it desktop, tablet, mobile? All

- what persons are they (old,  young, stressed etc.) 

Mostly tech-savvy users

Currently, my design is very simple, i am using table records to display the information. What i am headache is that some of the column size will vary depend on the data. Which make it very ugly.