Can't save my modules anymore

Can't save my modules anymore

Hi,

I must be missing something ridiculously simple here, but I am working on the training and I just noticed that I can't save any changes to my modules anymore. When I make a change and press ctrl+s I get a pop-up to save on my local disk. When I do this and close and re-open Studio nothing was saved. The only way to save something is to publish the module.

What stupid thing am I missing?

Regards,

Dirk

Solution

Hi Dirk,

when u reopen the studio, it fetches the OML from server (the latest one). for opening your saved version of oml, you need to go to environment and then click on open file and then browse to your saved oml at disk.

unless and until you publish an OML, it doesnt go to server.

Solution

Hi Dirk Dooms,

Before save your application you want to publish it first.

Hi Dirk,

What you can do is instead of opening service studio again you can open that Saved OML. Definetly you will get saved data. Another thing you can try just publish your Espace so first it will save your data then it will complete another steps.

Thanks,

-HM-

Hi,

That makes more sense indeed! Thank you for the quick response.

Just to make sure I understand this: so I should always work locally on my modules until I think they are ready to be put live. At that point I publish them and they get uploaded. Whenever I want to make more changes I open them from the server (or my local file in for example a source control system), start editing them, save them locally again, until I think they are ready to be published?

So I hardly ever would open modules directly from studio (server), unless maybe I want to check something that is currently published?

Dirk,

Outsystems uses its own built-in source control system. Typically you always want to be working with the latest version, so you always open it from the server. You do your changes and publish them. That way they'll be stored in source control, and immediately integrated with the changes of other developers. Ideally, you have more than 1 environment, and when you want to have your code "go live", you push it from the development towards a test environment for example. Off course, this only applies for a business/professional environment. In case of a personal environment, you only have 1 server available.

The way you describe is actually possible, but I have not yet seen anyone work that way.

Hi Tim,

That makes sense. I was just looking at it from a perspective if you have only one environment (so the free solution). If of course you have multiple environments you can indeed continuously publish in a lower environment and enjoy all the benefits that OutSystems source control offers. If you only have one environment, you my not want to publish updates, until they are completely finished.

As we will have the enterprise environment within our company we will not run into my issue described above, and I will only experience it for smaller, private projects, which is less of a problem.

Regards,

Dirk

tbh, it is still the same, just make smaller incrementals.

with outsystems it's quite easy to rollback easily..

I really suggest not to save (well, also, but less frequently) but to publish your stuff.

perhaps make 2 applications where in the end you merge the espaces