OutSystems Platform 4.1 Preview

OutSystems Platform 4.1 Preview

Hi,

The OutSystems Platform 4.1 development cycle has begun, and I would like to share with you some of the features we'll be adding to this version:

Single Sign-on: Centralizing your application users and security will be much easier in version 4.1. Just select the eSpace that handles your users and you're done. As a bonus the sessions will also be shared, which means that you no longer have to worry about sessions expiring in different eSpaces of the same application. Enterprise manager will be updated to take advantage of this new feature.

Support for .Net 2.0: Version 4.1 will be upgraded to use the .Net 2.0 framework. This will bring huge benefits to the Platform, including support for 64 bits systems, better memory management and performance improvements.

Expression Editor AutoComplete: It is now much easier and faster to write your expressions by taking advantage of the new AutoComplete feature. Using information about existing system elements and user defined types, Service Studio helps you quickly type your expressions.

Back and Forward in Service Studio: You will now be able to navigate back and forward on your eSpace, just like you do in a browser. This will cut down the time you spend looking for elements in the eSpace tree.

Improved Undo in Service Studio: Improvements in the Screen Editor and in the Properties Pane Undo will give you a second chance when you make a mistake.

Leaner and Faster Service Studio: Improvements in the memory usage and in the Save time of Service Studio will improve your experience and save you time while editing your eSpaces.

Improved Screen Editor in Service Studio: Enhanced WYSIWYG when you use Style Sheets with images and improved manipulation of Web Containers are some of the improvements that will be made to the Screen Editor in this version.

Easier Link Creation: You'll now be able to create links between screens within the Screen Editor. Just select the screen you want to connect to and Service Studio will create the needed connectors and "Goto screen"'s in your flow.

Easier Widget Placement: You can now create widgets in your Screens by placing the cursor in the desired position and clicking the Widget Toolbar. This will help you place your widget in the right spot when drag and drop just doesn't cut it.

As we proceed with the development of this version we will be adding more content to this post, including demo videos of the brand new features.

Best regards,
Rodrigo
Rodrigo, Can you expose also new planned features expected for Integration Studio and Service Center?
When do you expect support for Vista?
In an effort to provide customers with more secure products, Microsoft Windows Server "Longhorn" and Microsoft Windows Vista will only support SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later when it becomes available.

I read 2nd Quarter of 2007

Earlier versions of SQL Server, including SQL Server 2000 (all editions including Desktop Engine edition, a.k.a MSDE), SQL Server 7.0, and SQL Server 6.5, will not be supported on Windows Server "Longhorn" or Windows Vista. Customers running applications with these earlier versions of SQL Server should consider evaluating and upgrading to SQL Server 2005, which was designed to take advantage of the upcoming security and performance enhancements in the operating environment.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/sqlonvista.mspx
Hello Rui,

Version 4.1 is a minor version that will have a great focus on improving the developer's productivity by focusing on usability issues and features like the Single Sign-on that will complement the great improvements made on version 4.0. We will not be adding any major changes to Integration Studio or Service Center.

In the future we do have some plans for Integration Studio, namely the ability to create Web Blocks in Integration Studio to enable the use of custom User Controls.

Regarding the support for Vista, we’re aligning our Roadmap with end-customer adoption and request. That means we’re still up to decide on whether it will be supported on version 4.1 or 5.0. We’ll keep you posted on this subject.

Regards,
Rodrigo
I'd just like to say that I think it's a very coherent and useful set of features that I'm sure will make us even faster while developing with SS.

Also it's really nice to know upfront what will be the features! Keep them coming :)
Cheers,
Gonçalo
Well, I'll throw in my two cents (opinion)....

I just got a new work laptop and as most laptops now, it came pre-installed with Windows Vista (Business Edition). I gave installation a shot on it to see what would happen and the installer for Hub Server Fails with:

Faulting application MsiExec.exe, version 4.0.6000.16386, time stamp 0x4549af77, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0046d7d8, process id 0xc5c, application start time 0x01c75910ea9967ac.

So now i'm in the quandry of "down releasing" my sales / development laptop to WinXP or 2003. I was hoping of course that it would have been straight forward. I may consider trying to run XP in a virtual PC.
Hi Ken,

For now the OutSystems Platform is not compatible with Windows Vista, but we expect to add that support soon.
Microsoft has released an update to SQL Server 2005 that works on Windows Vista last week, so it will now be possible for us to start working on supporting and certifying these new configurations.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
and what about .net 2003 that will not be suported by Vista?
Hi Bruno,

The windows version of the OutSystems Platform 4.1 will use .NET 2.0 Framework which will work with VS 2005
According to Microsoft, VS 2005 will be supported by Windows Vista soon.
Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi Bruno,

To clear this up, I'd like to add that when using the OutSystems Platform 4.1 you won't need Visual Studio 2005.

When using Service Studio with the Run or 1-Click Publishing operations, Visual Studio is not used at all. At the server, OutSystems uses the underlying .Net framework directly for eSpace's compilations.

When using OutSystems Integration Studio, you might want to configure it to use Visual Studio 2005 as your source code editor. Or you could configure it to use the free "Microsoft Visual C# 2005 Express Edition" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualcsharp/) instead. Both will work.

Regards,
António