Splash screen while waiting

Splash screen while waiting

Hello all -

I have an app which calls a third party back end web service which can take up to two minutes to process. The app needs to wait for the response from this result before continuing on various paths. To help with the perceived "the app is stuck" process, I created a "Splash" screen which has some text and an animated gif (spinning wheel). The onload for the page clicks a hidden submit button on the page, and the submit action is actually what does the call to the web service.

The problem is that some popular browsers (ie, some mac based browsers) stop the animated gif as soon as the hidden button is pressed (hence the system thinks its navigating away). What I would like is a way to display a splash screen with some sort of animated waiting indication while one or more web services are executing in the background.

After thinking about it a bit, a screen which does Ajax, similar to how service center works when compiling an app or publishing a solution with status messages would also work great.

If anyone can think of a solution, or perhaps someone at outsystems could create a simple sample which shows how the ajax compile screen as part of service center works, that would be much appeciated!

Thanks

Ken
Hi Ken,

You can have a look here for an example on how to update a screen part. You can either have some script in the part being updated to re-update the page if the process hasn't stopped, or you could use the Ajax.PeriodicalUpdater from the included prototype library.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Thanks. That helps a little bit on the refresh of the container, but relies on the user manually pressing the refresh button. Unfortunately it does not help with my solution of waiting for an event to finish. I certainly don't want the user to have to press a refresh button to check if the web function is done.

any chance of getting a couple extracts of servicecenter code to see how its done there (ie, download a solution screen, etc)?
Thanks
Ken
Hi Ken,

I'm attaching a revised version that might be easier to understand and use.
Instead of waiting for the counter to reach 50 you can change this to wait for your event.
Cheers,
Tiago