How to design business logic

How to design business logic

Hello,

In the tutorial i found how to design data logic using Entity. I'm currently develop 3 tier app using business logic dan data logic.

Do you have a tutorial to design business logic?

many many thanks,

Hi,

Regarding the business solutions we don't have specific tutorials for that. However, you may find various examples, with coded business logic, in the Samples & How To's. Also take a look at the Solutions that have complete implementation of business logic and might be more complete to follow as an example.
Jaime Vasconcelos wrote:

Hi,

Regarding the business solutions we don't have specific tutorials for that. However, you may find various examples, with coded business logic, in the Samples & How To's. Also take a look at the Solutions that have complete implementation of business logic and might be more complete to follow as an example.

Can anyone tell me where is Samples and How To's. I tried searching but couldn't figure out
Hi Pankaj,

Easier place to find them is inside Service Studio, on the first Tab. The back one that says "outsystems".
You can also find them when clicking the blue "?" on the top right corner in Service Studio, or inside the Academy training on top of this site.

Regards,
João Rosado
Hello,

This is an interesting question: how to design for OutSystems?

I don't think you design business logic or any other design concept in Service Studio or any other OutSystems tool.
You design the basic structure of each tear probably in your head, on paper , or in your favourite analys/design tools.
(Although Agile evangelists do not actively support the idea of analysis/design tools, which is something I do not agree with).
I normally design the 3 views : business / application / technology in Enterprise Architect, import the application data models into Service Studio Entities and implement the Screens and Actions based on the other business and application models (requirements-, process-, rules-, screen-, interface- and testmodels).

You implement the design with OutSystems Screens , Actions, Entities and Webservices in Service Studio.
You can implement business logic in Actions and Webservices.
You can implement Screen specific Actions in the Service Studio Interface tab or reusable Actions in the Service Studio Logic tab.
Probably the most purely approach for real business logic is the 2nd option. So OutSystems makes it perfectly possible to realize a common 3-tier or Model/View/Control structure

How to implement business logic in action logic?
Well this is in fact quite simple. OutSystems has, like any programming language, in fact a limited set of programming logic primitives like Assignments, Conditions, Iterations etc. The only thing you need to learn is how to do this in the OutSystems visual modeling style. But you have to be aware that you model programming logic, not really business logic. The business people will never understand these models.

When part of Service Studio implementation is ready, let's say the first Sprint, I like to import the Screens, Actions, Entities and Webservices back into the Enterprise Architect design tool, where it can be cross-referenced with the requirements, designs and testmodels. In this way I have a round-trip engineering of analysis/design/build/test accomplished and can validate the completeness of implementation. For instance I can cross-reference business processes and business rules with OutSystems Actions, and object/data/class models with OutSystems Entities. It also gives me the possibility to generate and deliver integrated analysis/design/build documentation (online HTML and offline Word/PDF documents) for applications implemented in OutSystems.

Cheers,
Joost van der Schoot
Hi Joost, 

just a curious question from my side, you didn't mention OutSystems BPT module in service studio, any reason for that?

Cheers, 
RNA
Hi Ricardo,

No reason for this, to be (more or less) complete, BPT should be mentioned as a business logic implementation option.

Cheers,
Joost van der Schoot
Joost van der Schoot wrote:

I don't think you design business logic or any other design concept in Service Studio or any other OutSystems tool.
You design the basic structure of each tear probably in your head, on paper , or in your favourite analys/design tools.

Cheers,
Joost van der Schoot

I must say I agree with this. In OS there is no place to design you business logic and even then if you do it in Service Studio, does the customer looks in it? I don't think so. The OutDoc exist but that's to much and you don't have any overview anymore.

I think business logic must always be described in service studio (why are some decision made will understand the logic more to the developer) but for the manager/customer it should be set in another tool, your favourite analys/design tool, like Joost wrote.

Keep it clean and simple :).

Kind regards,
Evert