Scaffolding 1:n in detailscreen: Reset Filter parameter

Scaffolding 1:n in detailscreen: Reset Filter parameter

Hi,

When I drag an entity in a detailscreen (say items in orderdetail) Truechange warns me that input parameter Resetfilters is never used (in the RefreshItemtable action). When I delete this parameter several warnings appear in TrueChange: Unused argument 'False' to non-existing parameter 'ResetFilters' in On Notify. 

This seems odd. Is this a bug or is this as designed.

Regards, Harry

Hello Harry,

This is not a bug.
When you delete an Input Parameter for a page, web block or action, the places where they are being called still have the parameters being sent, as the server do not delete them automatically.

And this is why you receive a warning. It is not an error, but you are sending a parameter that the system thinks you are not using.

To get rid of the warnings, you have to delete those parameters in the place where you are calling.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

I can see that tose are just warnings, but am still wondering if the scaffolding should not take care of this. I delete the parameter BECAUSE TC is warning me: 'Unused Element Input Parameter 'ResetFilters' is never used in Screen Action 'RefreshItemTable'. But, when you use 'Find usages' you'll detect that the Inputparameter IS used in the OnNotify Reset Filters for several (navigation and sorting widgets). 

Regards, Harry

The platform does not erase the values passed as the arguments to input parameters you deleted, probably to avoid that if you did this by mistake, you loose everything. Having those warnings is less critical than having to type everything again. 

Also, the fact that you don't have "input parameters" does not meant that you CAN'T use parameters that are sent in calling the page/screen action. In fact, you can. This is how the Upload File widget works.

When I REALLY want to delete a input parameter, I first do a search to see where it is used, than I erase and fix them.

So, I think this is the desirable behavior. 

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

I think we will not come to an agreement on this, but that's not a problem I guess   The point that I was trying to make was not that after I deleted a parameter Truechange 'complains', but before. IMO scaffolding a 1:n table in a detailscreen should take care of deleting the onNotify arguments Resetfilters and the Resetfilter parameter itself. 

But, maybe you're right that OS doesnot do this for a reason and it is not really a big issue to delete them myself, I agree with you on that!  If I want input parameters again I can also add them myself. Anyway, thank you -as so many times- for sharing your thoughts on this. Really appreciated!

Regards, Harry

Hi Harry,

I've tried to reproduce this behavior, but didn't succeed:

The ResetFilters parameter is created - and used - when an entity list screen is being created. This parameter is used in the Search action and the Reset action. When you let scaffolding create a detail screen, there's no parameter ResetFilters created. 

If you drag an entity to a detail screen (as you describe it), the TableRecords is created, together with the pagination, but no parameter ResetFilters (for there's no Search field).

Kind regards,

Lennart

Hi Lennart,

That is strange... I tried it again and in the Refresh action of the table the ResetFilters occurs and so comes the warning. Because there is no search fieldis why I probably did not expect the inputparameter Resetfilters (because there is no need for it). But it is happening:

Regards, Harry

You are right, I did miss that one. 

It'll probably be because of the fact that it is used when you create a list screen by dragging the entity to the workflow pane. In that case the search field is created, while that isn't created when you add an entity list on a detail screen.

Harry de Boer wrote:

Hi Eduardo,

I think we will not come to an agreement on this, but that's not a problem I guess   The point that I was trying to make was not that after I deleted a parameter Truechange 'complains', but before. IMO scaffolding a 1:n table in a detailscreen should take care of deleting the onNotify arguments Resetfilters and the Resetfilter parameter itself. 

But, maybe you're right that OS doesnot do this for a reason and it is not really a big issue to delete them myself, I agree with you on that!  If I want input parameters again I can also add them myself. Anyway, thank you -as so many times- for sharing your thoughts on this. Really appreciated!

Regards, Harry

Ahhh, I see. :)

I don't think this is a "bug".
It is more like something they used from the Flow scaffolding, and that was left there.

In this case, I'll agree that not being a bug by itself, it's a little bit annoying.  
But for sure is something that is not at the top priorities for the SS team. 

Me myself prefer to see other developments before this one... rs

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

>>Me myself prefer to see other developments before this one... rs

Agreed, it is not a big point

>>t'll probably be because of the fact that it is used when you create a list screen by dragging the entity to the workflow pane. In that case the search field is created, while that isn't created when you add an entity list on a detail screen.

Yes, that seems plausable.

Thank you both, I'll go on to other matters   

Regards, Harry