Will outsystem web responsive if it is embed to other website

Will outsystem web responsive if it is embed to other website

Hi,

I would like to ask if the outsystem web will still be responsive if it was embed to other website?

For instance, we need to host outsystem web into other website using iframe. Can outsystem web application detect when the website is in mobile?

Jace, 

If you are using Silk Ui, yes, it is very easy. You have lots of widgets that will help you defining the behaviour(responsiveness) depending on the device where the app is being shown.

It should work fine even from inside an iFrame in a mobile app. At least if the mobile app is sending an adequate user agent in the request.

But you can test it very easy.

Create a simple web application that has a table records in the page. If you open it in web or mobile, the look will be different. So, open it from inside an iframe in a mobile app and see if it looks the same as when you open it from mobile browser.

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

Hi Eduardo,

Yes, using silk UI for my web. I try to embed the outsystem to other website but it seem that the outsystem web did not manage to detect that it is in mobile and did not change the behavior according.

Hi jace,

It works if you call it from the browser? I mean, it detects it is in mobile?

Cheers,

Eduardo Jauch

P.S. Are you using a simple iFrame or something else to open the web app inside your mobile app?

I embed outsystem web into other website. When testing, the outsystem does not behavior according to what it should.

ok. 

I'll dig a little into this to see why it is not working and to see if there is any "workaround".
I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hello,

anyone have tried embed outsystem web app to another website? Does you all face any problem with the responsiveness? Because i tried to embed outsystem web app to another website, the responsive does not work. Seem that outsystem web app are not able to detect that they are in mobile platform and change according.

Hello Jace,

I have being digging around. ;)
It seems that SilkUI uses cookies to keep the information it needs to work properly.

The problem is... When you are dealing with an iFrame, there are some constraints that the browsers impose that can make impossible to the "iframed" website to create their cookies. For example, if the "iframed" website does not send a P3P header on the response.

If you are using the "iframed" website from the same domain as the main application, you can try to set your own cookies for the "iframed" site.

Or, you can include the P3P header in the response. 

You can take a look here to see the format of the P3P header http://codethug.com/2012/12/14/cookies-and-iframes-dont-mix/

And you can probably use some of the actions in the HttpRequestHandler extension to do this.

I didn't tried, but I think if you need, you can try it :)

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Jace,

It seems that SilkUI uses cookies to keep the information it needs to work properly.

The problem is... When you are dealing with an iFrame, there are some constraints that the browsers impose that can make impossible to the "iframed" website to create their cookies. For example, if the "iframed" website does not send a P3P header on the response.

If you are using the "iframed" website from the same domain as the main application, you can try to set your own cookies for the "iframed" site.

You can take a look here to see the format of the P3P header http://codethug.com/2012/12/14/cookies-and-iframes-dont-mix/

And you can probably use some of the actions in the HttpRequestHandler extension to do this.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hello Eduardo Jauch,

Thanks for the information. If i don't used iframe and use other form (like object, link) to embed outsystem web app, will the problem still persist?

The responsive web is popular because businesses realize that working poorly on mobile devices could mean the difference between a potential user/customer choosing you or the competition.

Take a look at a blog which shows how responsive web design is trending in 2017 https://www.fingent.com/blog/it-professionals-trends-in-2017

"Mobile websites rely heavily on browsers for the elementary functions like the browser features(‘back button,’ ‘refresh button,’ and ‘address bar’). The efficiency and seamless functioning of a mobile website depend on an up-to-date browser"

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Jace,

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hello Eduardo,

Regarding you mentioned about include the P3P header in the response, do you mean that it is done through outsystem application or the external website?

The external site that you are trying to open in an iFrame (be it an OutSystems site or not)