Normal Probability Distribution

Normal Probability Distribution

Hello,

I am building an application that requires the use of a normal probability distribution function. In Excel, this function is called NORMSINV. It allows one to enter in a percentage and to return a value to be used in the calculation. 

Hello Shaun,

I'm not aware of any function that does this, in OutSystems System actions.
Maybe there is something in Forge. You can take a look and try to find it.

In the end, you can implement it yourself. Maybe even create a forge component with it?
If you google it, you will find the algorithm to compute this.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Shaun,

I'm not aware of any function that does this, in OutSystems System actions.
Maybe there is something in Forge. You can take a look and try to find it.

In the end, you can implement it yourself. Maybe even create a forge component with it?
If you google it, you will find the algorithm to compute this.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Thanks much Edwardo,

I could not find anything on Forge. So I think I will have to create it. I know it would be quite useful to other people as it is a common function in inventory management and many other areas as well. I eventually will need multiple probability distributions, so more than the normal. 

But I am too new to Outsystems to effectively do this myself. Can I put this out for bid on the Outsystems site someplace? Can you send the link as to where I would do this. 

Rgds,

Shaun

If you find the formulas, they are probably (pun intended) easy to implement to anyone around here.

Hey, Shaun

There is this in the .NET framework that can be implemented in an extension. 

Shortcomings are that you can't specify the mean and standard deviation values.

Would this suit you?

I have built an extension and published to the forge for you. Let me know if it helps?

Hanno

Quick update: changed to implementing the math.net library so you can now specify the mean and standard deviation.

Hanno wrote:

Quick update: changed to implementing the math.net library so you can now specify the mean and standard deviation.

Hanno, 

That is great! I do, in fact, need to send the mean and standard deviation to the calculator. I am going to check this out. I will probably have to respond a little later. But this is very helpful. It is interesting how quickly you did this. I think it would be good to keep this thread open because it can be posted to later as to the usage of your library. 

Rgds,

Shaun

No worries, Shaun. Let me know how it works out for you and if there is something extra you may need in that library.

OutSystems makes it very easy to extend the platform with Integration Studio and extensions, so thumbs up to them!

Shaun Snapp wrote:

Hello,

I am building an application that requires the use of a normal probability distribution function. In Excel, this function is called NORMSINV. It allows one to enter in a percentage and to return a value to be used in the calculation. 

Hi Shaun! I have several apps that use some advanced math/logic so if you need anything after you implement the suggestions feel free to reach out directly!

Doug_inVA wrote:

Shaun Snapp wrote:

Hello,

Hi Shaun! I have several apps that use some advanced math/logic so if you need anything after you implement the suggestions feel free to reach out directly!

Thank you Doug, I will definitely keep that in mind. 

I will eventually need several probability distributions. Poisson most notably.