Absolute Beginner Question

Absolute Beginner Question

Hello, I am an absolute beginner in designing apps. I have technical knowledge but need a few questions answered and I'm hoping I can get some help here?

I want to develop an app to be uploaded and distributed from the IOS store so many users (hopefully) can use it. If I use Outsystems to design this app, can I use the free edition to achieve this? As I understand it, if I want Outsystems to host it all, I would need an upgrade from the free license. But if it's in the IOS store, don't Apple host it themselves?

I'm still researching design tools to help in my first app and Outsystems looks very good especially with the beginner's course available. I don't want to invest 32hrs in that and then realise I'd have to have an Enterprise license for what I want to achieve, I can't afford that. I'm just a hobbyist with an idea.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Stephen,

I was in the same boat a few weeks ago when I first fired up OS.  Invest the 32 hours... it's worthwhile, overwhelming, and a good source of information you'll go back to.

I believe you can use the free edition to build your app... which you'll then generate an iOS app for.  The Native Platform tab of your Application walks you through uploading the iOS Dev Cert and Provisioning Profile for testing.  You'd then upload your Production cert in the same area, when ready, although I've not done this part.  I've only done the development stuff.

Your data, if you use data in your app, is hosted by OS... and usable in your app.  There are user limitations on your app, but for trying out a new environment the free edition is full and excellent.

I'm not new at designing apps having used a similar environment for the past 5 years.  OS is certainly different and very interesting.

David

Stephen Crowson-Towers wrote:

Hello, I am an absolute beginner in designing apps. I have technical knowledge but need a few questions answered and I'm hoping I can get some help here?

I want to develop an app to be uploaded and distributed from the IOS store so many users (hopefully) can use it. If I use Outsystems to design this app, can I use the free edition to achieve this? As I understand it, if I want Outsystems to host it all, I would need an upgrade from the free license. But if it's in the IOS store, don't Apple host it themselves?

I'm still researching design tools to help in my first app and Outsystems looks very good especially with the beginner's course available. I don't want to invest 32hrs in that and then realise I'd have to have an Enterprise license for what I want to achieve, I can't afford that. I'm just a hobbyist with an idea.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Stephen, 

Yes, you should be able to use the free edition to create an app to upload to app store. After you generate the app and upload it to app store, the app still need to connect to your outsystems server. Apple doesn't host your app for you, it distributes it for you. :) Therefore all your user data, session etc would still be stored on your outsystems server. 

As for licensing, perhaps this would help https://www.outsystems.com/pricing-and-editions/. As you can see, the free edition comes with some limitations. 

Hi Stephen,

Probably the greatest limitation will be that personal environments (the Free Edition) will be "recycled" regularly if you don't access them.

This means that after a certain period of time they will "go to sleep" (apps and data are still safe, but your apps will not be available to users until you explicitly awake the environment - you will receive an email notifying you when your environment goes to sleep)

And if you don't wake an environment that "went to sleep" within the time-frame you're given, the environment will be automatically recycled (apps will be backed up, and a link to download them will be sent to you, data will be lost). You will be able to restart the environment (URL is still yours), and you will be able to easily republish all apps in your environment, but the database will be clean.

Jorge,

As long as you keep actively using your environment, it will not go to sleep.

Hi Tim,

Thabks Tim, that's what I started by saying:

Hi Stephen,

Probably the greatest limitation will be that personal environments (the Free Edition) will be "recycled" regularly if you don't access them.

Solution

Thank you all for your answers and guidance. I'm learning a lot very quickly and getting the right information really helps. 

Solution

Lands. Take in acount that there is also  database limitations in personal environments (2GB)

Just to give you a personal experience with the personal environment space of 2GB, I've got the full OS Todo Tutorial Mobile and Web app, 5 other small Mobile Test apps, and 16 plugins loaded.  That takes about 640MB of space.