Use OutSystems Now for Production?

Use OutSystems Now for Production?

Our customer plans to distribute OutSystems apps via OutSystems Now and let employees use the apps like this in production mode. On the website of OutSystems Now I can not find info about disadvantages of this. While between the lines I read it can only be used for development & testing reasons but nothing said about production. 

Can any one give me some advice or URL wich explicitly exclude productive use of OutSystems Now?

Hi Jasper,

OutSystems Now exists with two purposes: Aggregate OutSystems applications and give access to the apps to some mobile resources through integrated plugins, like the camera, gps, etc.

Since the advent of the "Mobile Applications", OutSystems Now become a little outdated and redundant, as native (hybrid) OutSystems mobile applications can provide a much better experience to the user than a web app responsive to a mobile.

But You still have the OutSystems Now and I don't know of any plan to drop it.

At the time I used, its purpose was for Production also. So, I don't think this had changed since the P10 rise...
But maybe something changed. DOn't know.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Hi Jasper,

The OutSystems Now in the old version had the purpose to be the entry point to your applications and a kind of repository of apps for your company.

When P10 was released this concept was changed. Each mobile app on OutSystems 10 is an independent app and could has your own plugins and device native features.

The customization of OutSystems Now will not be possible anymore, and his purpose is only to test your app before generate your own app. You could use it on production, but it is not completely safe. The OutSystems now can get changes and updates and your users will not be able to access your app anymore.

Even more, OutSystems Now has a limited set of plugins, and you will not be able to add more features to your apps.

The safest way to be sure your apps will keep your visual identity, extend to new features and keep working is generate you own app. Avoid to depend only of Now.

Best regards

Fábio Fantato

Solution

Fantato wrote:

Hi Jasper,

The OutSystems Now in the old version had the purpose to be the entry point to your applications and a kind of repository of apps for your company.

When P10 was released this concept was changed. Each mobile app on OutSystems 10 is an independent app and could has your own plugins and device native features.

The customization of OutSystems Now will not be possible anymore, and his purpose is only to test your app before generate your own app. You could use it on production, but it is not completely safe. The OutSystems now can get changes and updates and your users will not be able to access your app anymore.

Even more, OutSystems Now has a limited set of plugins, and you will not be able to add more features to your apps.

The safest way to be sure your apps will keep your visual identity, extend to new features and keep working is generate you own app. Avoid to depend only of Now.

Best regards

Fábio Fantato

Well... 

This certainly makes sense. But I don't think OutSystems Now will disappear soon, as there are probably lots of applications that are in production that depend on it. 

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for your advice, but is there an official document or webpage which confirms this info?
So I can use it to inform my client?

Grtz, Jasper