Hi, I need to read the weight from a scale installed on a COM (Serial) port in an application developed in outsystems, someone did something similar or  have any idea how to enhance this conversation between application and peripherals in the machine??

Hi Guilherme,

Man... You are swimming in deep water, without safe devices... lol

OutSystems applications, being web applications, have some limitations.

One of them is that the app runs in a browser, for security reasons, basically prevents you from accessing the client machine (hardware included).

So, you will mostly NOT be able to access the com port directly from the OutSystems app.

I recommend reading this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15171522/how-can-a-web-page-read-from-the-users-serial-port-in-the-year-2017

Basically, you will have to create a native app that will be able to connect to your app (websockets or webservice) and you will retrieve the info through it.

Maybe someone else knows an easier way, but I don't think so...

Anyway, good luck!

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch

thanks man, i gonna study about this, i started my work with outsystems at 3 month ago and this is my first real difficult, i saw somenthing about uses a node.js aplication running in second plane on my client listening the COM port, and the aplication send the content for browser by a port, i'm so happy to know that i can have fast support in community, again, thanks


Cheers


Guilherme Silva

Hi Guilherme,

I am doing a similar development, but from an android device.  Have you been successful in the integration?  My route that I am taking is Cordova plugins from a native app, but serial plugin integration seems more difficult that I expected.

Thanks

Hi Guilherme,

Have you done the integration?

I am also stuck in the same dependency.

If you got the answer, please be needful.


Thanks,

Kalai

Hi Kalai, 

Are you on Mobile or web?  What are you trying to achieve?


Tjaart Swanepoel wrote:

Hi Kalai, 

Are you on Mobile or web?  What are you trying to achieve?


Hi Tjaart Swanepoel,

Thanks for your reply,

I have a Serial port device connected to my Laptop. if I pass a command to this device it will return the specific value from the device. This total implementation I did in windows based application and working perfectly in my client places.

I just want to convert the same implementation in Web application.i have tried with Out system web application to implement the same.


Hi Kalai,

Did you read the previous answer, e.g. the one by Eduardo? OutSystems Web Apps run on a server, which is probably somewhere in the cloud. That server can't reach whatever you attach to your laptop (and that's a good thing!). There are various possible solutions for this, but if you haven't thought of them yourself, they're probably way over your head :).


Thanks Killan for your reply,

I think of creating the SOAP or Rest service to access the ports and consume it in the Web / Mobile apps.

Whether is the good idea to proceed to work on this?

:)

Thanks,

Kalai

Kalai wrote:


Thanks Killan for your reply,

I think of creating the SOAP or Rest service to access the ports and consume it in the Web / Mobile apps.

Whether is the good idea to proceed to work on this?

:)

Thanks,

Kalai

Hello Kalai, 

I don't think you can do away with the native app (windows application). 

You will need it to communicate with the peripheral and also talk to the web app (sockets or webservices). 

You will also need to think about communication if its one way or two way and implement the functionality in the web and native side. 


Regards

Amal 


Hi Kalai,

You could do that, but the problem would then be that the server the app runs on (whether web or mobile) needs to have access to the REST service that runs locally on the specific machine. This could work if there's just a single computer with a device to the COM port, but if it's a scenario like the OP had, a number of computers each with a scale attached, that's not going to work.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Kalai,

You could do that, but the problem would then be that the server the app runs on (whether web or mobile) needs to have access to the REST service that runs locally on the specific machine. This could work if there's just a single computer with a device to the COM port, but if it's a scenario like the OP had, a number of computers each with a scale attached, that's not going to work.


Thanks Killan,


This the way i am working on it..


once i complete it i will share my comments & difficulties i faced.


Kalai

Amal Raj wrote:

Kalai wrote:


Thanks Killan for your reply,

I think of creating the SOAP or Rest service to access the ports and consume it in the Web / Mobile apps.

Whether is the good idea to proceed to work on this?

:)

Thanks,

Kalai

Hello Kalai, 

I don't think you can do away with the native app (windows application). 

You will need it to communicate with the peripheral and also talk to the web app (sockets or webservices). 

You will also need to think about communication if its one way or two way and implement the functionality in the web and native side. 


Regards

Amal 


Thanks Amal for your suggestions.


Cheers,

Kalai