Create a copy of the table from other data source

Create a copy of the table from other data source

I am having a oracle database which I have integrated to my outsystems project .Now I want to create a replica of the source database table in outsystems (create a entity with same column definition as in my source table) having the backup of data in the entity.

Can we do that ?

Solution

Hi Being.pandey,

You can copy the External Entity and paste it to your Database folder... that should create an OutSystems entity with the attributes, but you would need to keep those two entity definitions in sync afterwards (every time something changes in the External Entity, you would need to reflect that change in your own OutSystems entity).

And if you want to copy the data, you'd have to implement data syncing as well (typically using a Timer). 

But that begs the question, why do you need a local backup of your external data?

Solution

Jorge Martins wrote:

Hi Being.pandey,

You can copy the External Entity and paste it to your Database folder... that should create an OutSystems entity with the attributes, but you would need to keep those two entity definitions in sync afterwards (every time something changes in the External Entity, you would need to reflect that change in your own OutSystems entity).

And if you want to copy the data, you'd have to implement data syncing as well (typically using a Timer). 

But that begs the question, why do you need a local backup of your external data?

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your reply.Currently we are trying to move that particular table to outsystems .we dont want to use the external data source any more .That why we are doing this .Also it will a one time move so there will be no syncing after that .So basically I want to create a replica of the external table in my outsystems along with the data.

You probably want to check the Refactor Forge component, in particular the Convert Foreign Entity refactoring.