Debugging application

Debugging application

I have an application which generates hundreds of errors daily, of the type:

Module Name: Global
Message: Exception of type System.Web.HttpUnhandledException was thrown.
Stack: at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
at System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

The errors by themselves are not very helpful, and I'm unable to discover where the problem might reside as the application works fine in my tests.
How can I improve debugging as to discover where the error might be coming from? Thanks,
Sergio S. Bastos
Hi Sérgio

The thrown exception of type HttpUnhandledException, is usually a HTTP level error generated by the Web Server layer where your applications are running. This means that the best way to check what's causing this error is to check any web server errors.

My suggestion is to check errors for the same time instant on:

- The Application event viewer log with the source ASP.NET v2.0 if you're using OutSystems 4.1
- The IIS log files (located by default on c:\windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1) if you're using the IIS web server. In these files, find the lines for the same time instant of the Service Center errors that don't return a 200 code (my guess is that you'll find 404 error codes, or any 500 variation)

Obviously, check both if you're using 4.1 over IIS.

If you don't determine the cause of the errors from the information found in these logs, try to paste the information here so we can help you analyze them.

Hope this information is helpful.