[Silk UI Web] Bugs / Strange Behavior of Editable table when disabled

[Silk UI Web] Bugs / Strange Behavior of Editable table when disabled

Forge Component
(71)
Published on 4 Oct by OutSystems R&D
71 votes
Published on 4 Oct by OutSystems R&D

I have Editable table with multiple records with combo boxes. User can add/edit/delete records. This is no problem.

But when user with no privilege is accessing the screen, the editable table is set to disabled.

Strange behavior happens....Combo boxes still showing the selection list. I expect user cannot click on combo boxes. And automatically doing vertical scrolling when user click on it.

Please advise.

Solution

Hi Eric,

Editable Tables are meant to be Editable...
And they are pretty bad as they are (imho). Particularly, we have many projects where we created our own "editable records" to avoid the problems that arise on more complex use cases.

Another thing is the following. The Editable Table is in the HTML, so it is in the client side. It will be not safe. Everything that is client side can be messed up by a more skilled user.

So, the good practice is: If the user does not have rights to edit, replace the Editable Table for a common Table Records, or even a List record stylized to look like the Editable Record, if you want.

It will be safer and less problematic (again, imho).

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch

Solution

Hmm thanks I agree with your solution to replace editable table when users don't have privilege. At least for now. But still this should be fixed imho at least to disable combo boxes to prevent further strange behaviors.

Eric Halim wrote:

Hmm thanks I agree with your solution to replace editable table when users don't have privilege. At least for now. But still this should be fixed imho at least to disable combo boxes to prevent further strange behaviors.

I agree, but ET are really a complicated thing... I think OutSystems prefer to focus on other things.

Cheers,
Eduardo Jauch