Selective deployment of applications (distribute by zones)

Selective deployment of applications (distribute by zones)

Hi all,

supose that I have the situation depicted below:

• 2 zones, App1 deployed in Zone1 and App2 deployed in Zone2.
  • Module1 from App1 has a screen (Screen1).
  • Module2 from App2 has a webblock (Webblock2) and a timer (Timer2).
  • Screen1 needs to reference Webblock2.

Can you help me with the following doubts?

• Is this a possible scenario with the apps being in different zones?
  • Will App2 also be deployed in Zone1?
  • Will Timer2 run on Zone1 AND Zone2 or will it run only on Zone2?

Thanks!

Hi Nuno,

1. It is a possible scenario, but I would put that webblock in a different module/app and deploy that app in a new zone that has all the front-ends of both zones.

2. No, but everything that the App1 needs to run, will be available in the front-ends of Zone 1

3. Timer2 will run in all front-ends of Zone2

Remeber that there can be front-ends that are in both zones.

Cheers,

José

Hi José,

I think I didn't explain the whole situation.

The idea is to use Zone1 as a "frontend" zone to deploy webapps (where the users - small number of them - will consult orders) and Zone2 as a "backend" zone to run timers and BPT's, as the application has intensive server-side processing load.

The webblock is inside an app in Zone2 as it is related to the entities in that module: imagine that App2/Module2 is a Core Service to deal with messages, with timers to process and deliver messages, and a webblock that will allow to list the messages related with an order (input parameter), for example. That's why I put it in Module2, with this webblock being used in the Order Detail screen in App1.

Is this "wrong"?

I want to guarantee that the Timer2 will run ONLY on Zone2, but I can't turnoff the timer schedule of Zone1 as there are other apps deployed there that user their timers.

So, my main concern is to know if a timer inside a module that is referenced in another zone will run on that zone or only in it "original" one.

Thanks!

Solution

Hi Nuno,

I understood your use case.

Regarding the first question,... it's not wrong. But in my opinion it would be better if the web block was in a separate module/app deployed in the front-ends of both zones.

The Timer2 will only run in Zone2 (its original app), since the app that has the timer is only deployed in zone 2. No problem there.

Cheers,

José

Solution

Hi Nuno,

• Is this a possible scenario with the apps being in different zones?
    • Yes
  • Will App2 also be deployed in Zone1?
    • No
  • Will Timer2 run on Zone1 AND Zone2 or will it run only on Zone2?
    • Timer2 will be only executed on Zone2

In that scenario you can accomplish this:

Nuno Rocha wrote:

I want to guarantee that the Timer2 will run ONLY on Zone2, but I can't turnoff the timer schedule of Zone1 as there are other apps deployed there that user their timers.

José and Daniel, thanks for your answers :-)