Upload Large images in Mobile app

Hello everyone.

We are currently working on a project where we also have a mobile app and where we have a big problem found by our QA team.

The issue is related with the upload of a large image using the platform Upload widget. 

Everytime we try to upload an image, lets say larger than 40MB, after a few seconds, the app simply shuts down (Android and iOS). We are compressing the images after the user upload it, but before this step, when we start uploading images with these dimensions, the application crashs.

I tried a very simple test on my personal environment and I can easily replicate this.

Can anyone help us on this with a solution for this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Gonçalo.

Can you provide the sample OML?

The Upload widget probably doesn't do "chunk" upload. That means that the operating system is probably trying to buffer the entire transfer in memory before sending and you can get an OutOfMemoryException.

I believe you'll need another solution that supports chunk files (e.g.: FileTransfer)

Thanks

César Afonso wrote:

Hello Gonçalo.

Can you provide the sample OML?

The Upload widget probably doesn't do "chunk" upload. That means that the operating system is probably trying to buffer the entire transfer in memory before sending and you can get an OutOfMemoryException.

I believe you'll need another solution that supports chunk files (e.g.: FileTransfer)

Thanks

Hello César.

An example is something as simple as having an empty mobile screen with an image upload and then trying to upload an image >40MB, for instance.

But this is a behavior that the platform should be able to handle. Even something as simple as giving some information/warning/error saying that the file is bigger than the maximum supported (obviously the correct form should be handling this in chunks) - never crashing the app which is scary for us to deliver to our customers.

Cheers,

GM