Checkin vs Working Locally

Checkin vs Working Locally

Version 10, on Outsystems Cloud

Hi All,

I realise that all work done in the Service studio is saved to the cloud so in effect there is no local development. I would like to know if there is a way to make some changes to the code without them affecting all the other people working on the project? I basically want to experiment with some options without those experiments interfering with what everyone else is doing.

Thanks

Hello Peter, 

As I know their is no local development in Out Systems environments, you can make fast solution for that is publish and Test your new code if its not working correctly you can role back to any other version of the module you working on, its easy not complicated. 

Regards, 

Mohamed Al Mokadem

Ok, but that means that any changes I make are immediately on the other developer's environments, so that means that I can not just experiment adhoc with possibly breaking changes as I could in something like visual studio, etc.

Exactly.

Hi Peter,

It has a few limitations, but you can use the "Run and Debug in the Personal area" (F6 key):

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Developing_an_Application/Troubleshooting_Applications/Debugging_Applications/Public_and_Personal_Areas

Cheers,

José

Jose,

Does this still save the changes in the 'shared' area? ie: if I make change, press F6, are any changes saved? If so where are the changes saved? If my PC were to crash, would my changes be available to me and other developers or would they disappear ?

Thanks

Hi Peter,

No changes will be saved if you press F6. If you do not save from time to time (CTRL+S) and your PC crashes you may loose your work.

Cheers,

José

Hi Peter,

Let me just add that you can also save a file locally on your machine, the caveat is that you're not able to test it locally... However, you can work on a module locally and then test with F6 and then just publish to the shared code base once you're happy with the results.

If you use F6, in order to test that same code you have to go through "Open in Browser" in the bottom of service studio - the big blue button takes you to the shared/public code.

You're always able to roll back to a previous version - through service studio or service center.

Hi Peter,

As with regards to saving your code, you can choose "Upload" from the "Module" menu in SS. It will upload the version you have currently to the cloud (and it will be visible in Service Center), but it won't be published. So Upload + F6 is, apart from cloning a module or specific Screen or Action (which could also be an option), your best option to do what you want.