Connecting to an External Database

Connecting to an External Database

Hi!

I have a question about how to connect to external databases. First of all, I would like to say that I have seen the guide here: https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/7362/re-how-to-integrate-with-an-external-sql-server-or-oracle-database-in-outsystem/ It's pretty straightforward but there is something I do not understand (this is more of a networking question).

What I need to place here is the IP address of the SQL server, right? Or can it be a URL? (I have almost no experience in operating SQL servers, so if you can ELI5 that, it would be great!)

What if the database server is inside a private network, what do I place here? What information would I need to have to do it (other the ones shown above)?

I have downloaded Microsoft SQL Server express, Management Studio, and Server Configuration Manager to try this out. I believe I already have the SQL server running, now I am studying how to connect OutSystems to it.

Thank you!

Hi Michael,

What you need to put there is the Server Name. Server name is the same as you use to login in SQL Management Studio. 

Just a reminder : The database you are trying to connect must be a public one.

Thank you for the response. 

But, what do you mean by a "public database"? How do I configure my SQL database to be public?

Also, how do OutSystems "locate" an external database ( I mean, we can locate computer systems with IP addresses. How is it done/how does it happen in this case - when the web-app is running in the OutSystems servers and the database is in an office somewhere. )

Hi again,

Michael i don't want to seem rude, but you are trying to take steps that you are not prepared. If you don't have the basic notions, take some time to do some research and read more about SQL(first) and then move to outsystems :) . But basicly it's not the "SQL database" that is going to be public, but your IP. 

Your SQL server should be on Public Internet IP (or routed through public IP) and accessible through internet or you can just buy from some companies a space in there server and they will provide you all the info you need to access.

"Also, how do OutSystems "locate" an external database ( I mean, we can locate computer systems with IP addresses. How is it done/how does it happen in this case - when the web-app is running in the OutSystems servers and the database is in an office somewhere. )"  

How? What do you mean how? It's basically by configuring the information needed in your print.

Hope this helps !

Romero wrote:

Hi again,

Michael i don't want to seem rude, but you are trying to take steps that you are not prepared. If you don't have the basic notions, take some time to do some research and read more about SQL(first) and then move to outsystems :) . But basicly it's not the "SQL database" that is going to be public, but your IP. 

Your SQL server should be on Public Internet IP (or routed through public IP) and accessible through internet or you can just buy from some companies a space in there server and they will provide you all the info you need to access.

"Also, how do OutSystems "locate" an external database ( I mean, we can locate computer systems with IP addresses. How is it done/how does it happen in this case - when the web-app is running in the OutSystems servers and the database is in an office somewhere. )"  

How? What do you mean how? It's basically by configuring the information needed in your print.

Hope this helps !

No worries! I understand that this may have been a very simple question. I will do that. Thanks for the insight. 

I think that answers my question. Thank you!