Hub Server supported platforms

Hub Server supported platforms

Given some doubts about current version support policies, I'd like to give you all an update.

OutSystems Hub Server is supported for the following platforms:

Operating Systems:
- Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server
- Windows 2003 (any)

DBMS:
- SQL Server 2000 Standard or Enterprise

Given commercial reasons you are entitled and authorized to install the Hub Server in the following platforms:

Operating Systems:
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows XP (any)

DBMS:
- SQL Server 2000 Developer, Personal or Desktop

Please be aware that all these systems are limited in terms of capacity. You may install them in trial environments given those limitations.
Additionally, notice that they have not been extensively tested, so in case you experience any unexpected problem, please try to upgrade the system before further investing in testing the product in similar environment. These configurations are not officially supported by OutSystems.

A complete list of the limitations of these systems are available at:

SQL Server
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/overview/default.asp

Windows 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx

Windows XP
http://www.iisfaq.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2596
Considerations on Windows Small Business Server 2003:

- This Operating System ONLY works as a Domain Controller
- If on the installation process the machine is not defined as a Domain Controller it will automatically shut itself down in a while (7 days). After that everytime you bring it up, it will shutdown in an hour.

Conclusion:

- If you don't want to have the machine as a Domain Controller you SHOULD NOT use Windows Small Business Server 2003.

For more information check:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/default.mspx
Does OutSystems interacts with As400 databases?

Is it possible Multi DataBases in an apllication? (Eg. SQL & As400)?
Hi

Currently, the OutSystems platform may use Sql Server or Oracle as its back-end database.

But an eSpace may access other databases through extensions. There are basically 2 ways of doing this:

a) an extension defines foreign entities, these foreign entities are added through Add/Rem References in service studio, the entities are used inside the eSpace. There are some known issue with this approach (you might search in this site for "oracle workaround" for example) and the setup may be somewhat difficult for AS400/DB2, I assume.

b) an extension defines methods returning recordlists for presenting data in screens. It defines other methods for creating, updating, deleting rows.

About AS400/DB2 specifically I think you might have issues similar to those mentioned in scenario a), so I would advise you going for scenario b).
Regards,
António Melo
Hi António,

I've just downloaded express version of OutSystems and I can't find "Foreign Entities" in Add/rem References.
Is this a feature of the non-express version? Or an I not understanding your explanation ?

What I need is to see howto develop this OutSystem over an existing AS/400 DB2 Database.
Thanks
João Mendes
Hi João

Welcome to our community!

No, there is no limitation in the Express Edition related to the "Add/Rem References" feature.
Search for "Foreign Entities" (no quotes) in our community and you'll get lots of resources that explain how to use them.

Some useful links:
http://www.outsystems.com/help/servicestudio/7.0/Default.htm#integrating_with_other_systems/extensions/use_foreign_entities.htm
http://www.outsystems.com/help/configurationtool/7.0/Default.htm#outsystems_hub_server_requirements.htm

I'll give here some tips that should help you getting started with that integration:

1. A Foreign Entity is defined in an Extension. An Extension is created with Integration Studio and published from there to Service Center.
2. If the database table is located in another database, its access is done through a dblink to that other Database Server.
3. For unsupported foreign databases, generally you may create a view on the 'local' database to the table located in the other server (you will use the dblink to achieve this) . Then, in Integration Studio, use "File / Import / Import Entities from Database..." and select the view created. This way, most of the work on the Entity definition will be done automatically.
4. Keep in mind the information mentioned in the previous post.

Please feel free to continue asking our community for help.
Regards,
António Melo
Hi Antonio,
Thanks for your answer, do you know anyone that made this work?

I'm trying to Link a SQL2000 to the AS/400 and have no success.

Thanks
João Mendes
Hi

I'll check if I can find someone to give you some pointers.

Regards,
António Melo
I found it:

1 - Create a odbc connection to the AS/400

2 - Create a link server with "Microsoft OLD DB Provider for ODBC Driver" Provider name
MSDASQL - Product NAme
<DNS Name> - Data Source

3 - In security tab check - "Be made using this security context" - Put a valid login for the as/400 (that can ODBC).

And thats it.

Can you help me with the "express" configuration.
How can I had a link server in sql2005 express?
Thanks
João Mendes
Why is my last post with Guest Account ????

Thanks
João Mendes
Hi João,

That was a small glitch out community that we are already fixing.

Thanks,
Tiago Simões
Ok,

About creating the link server in the sql2005 database that the express edition of OutSystems offers:

How can I access it, I'm trying to via external manager and I get "SQL Server does not exist or access denied".
If I can't access it how can I create a linked server?
Thanks
João Mendes
Hi,

For a dblink from SQL2000 to DB2 in a AS/400, I got success using "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2" driver that comes with Microsoft Host Integration Server Client. My tests are back from 2005 and then, I used Microsoft Host Integration Server 2004

The connection string was generated using Data Access Tool.
Sample: "Provider=DB2OLEDB;User ID=qsecofr;Password=lisboa;Initial Catalog=ZURICH;Network Transport Library=TCP;Host CCSID=37;PC Code Page=437;Network Address=192.168.0.23;Network Port=446;Package Collection=SERGIO;Default Schema=SERGIO;Process Binary as Character=False;Units of Work=DUW;DBMS Platform=DB2/AS400;Persist Security Info=True;Connection Pooling=True;"

In Microsoft Enterprise Manager (for SQL Server 2000), I add a linked server:
- Provider name ="Microsoft OLE DB Provider for DB2"
- Provider string = (previous one)

Regards,
Paulo Silva
Hi António,

Do we realy need to create a view for every table we want from the remote server?

Thanks
João Menes
Hi João

The views should be needed only if you want to use OutSystems Integration Studio's introspection. This happens because current version of Integration Studio does not support out-of-the-box DB2 table introspection.

You may define the entities attributes 'manually', but it is more tedious and error prone. But if you do that way, you shouldn't need the views.

After you have the definition in Integration Studio, you may set the physical table name not to use the view. In fact you should be able to delete the view after the introspection.

Before going further with other entity definitions, I advise you to try this integration method with just one or two entities. Create your eSpace and use the entities from your extension. This way, you may have a better feeling if it suits your needs, or if you should instead create Actions that access the DB2 (either 'directly' or through a dblink).

Regards,
António Melo
Hi António,
I just asked this because I'm having lots of problems this foreign entities.

I Linked 1 as/400 and 1 SQL2000, in management studio (which I figured that I had to install a SQL2005 STD to create the links, instead of using the sql2005 express ED os OSS) the connections and queries just function correctly.
Then I've alreadyh posted 2 posts (not visible yet) with 2 of my problems.

I have one third problem with the view 1 created in a database in the OSS SQLServer. when I try to select the database that as the view I get the error:
The Hub runtime user has no permission to access database 'OSRuntime'.

I'm using admin to create the extention.
Thanks
João Mendes