2 Mobile screens

Hi there, 

I am busy with a development where we are using two screens, one with the cashier and one with the customer.  When the customer enters his selection, the cashiers' screen is updated with the total and other cashier related info, like giving discount.

My question, how do I manage two screens in my app, ie. refresh data and widgets on Screen B based on the input on Screen A?  Is this possible?  

Hi Tjaart,

Is it what you want to be able to have one device notifying another device?

If so, take a look at this:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/Development_FAQs/How_to_Use_Push_Notifications_with_Pushwoosh

https://www.outsystems.com/forge/component/1556/pushwoosh-plugin/

Cheers,

José

Alternatively, you can have the customer device syncing real-time with the server, and the cashier device polling the server every second or so (by using JavaScript that calls a screen action) and syncing as well (but server->device).

Note that we're not talking about "Screen A" and "Screen B", but rather two devices, each with a possibly different app.

Thanks for the prompt response, this is like one Raspberry pi (running Android) with two screens attached

Solution

Hi Tjaart,

I'm not sure whether a Web App would be the right solution for a cash register, as it's basically based around submitting forms (give or take some ajax). You'd need some JavaScript trickery to get it working proplerly, I'd think...

Solution

Hi Tjaart,

Not sure if it's possible to show different screens at the same time to two different physical attached screens...

Do you already have that working? Two physical screens showing different content? 

And want to make them both communicate?

Cheers,

José

José Costa wrote:

Hi Tjaart,

Not sure if it's possible to show different screens at the same time to two different physical attached screens...

Do you already have that working? Two physical screens showing different content? 

And want to make them both communicate?

Cheers,

José

I have not received the hardware yet, but the documtntation is hinton in the dual screen direction.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Tjaart,

I'm not sure whether a Web App would be the right solution for a cash register, as it's basically based around submitting forms (give or take some ajax). You'd need some JavaScript trickery to get it working proplerly, I'd think...

The solution, after looking at your post, might just be to drive the behaviour from the database, so that the "listening" browser picks up on the data changes and then changes the screen based on the data.

My thinking is that I have two apps?  One for the customer and one for the cashier, but now the challenge might be to open the correct app on the correct screen.  Do you have any ideas?

Tjaart Swanepoel wrote:

I have not received the hardware yet, but the documtntation is hinton in the dual screen direction.

That is a very strange setup and I'm not sure how cordova will handle that...

Why not use two devices and do as was first proposed by Kilian or me?

Cheers,

José

José Costa wrote:

Tjaart Swanepoel wrote:

That is a very strange setup and I'm not sure how cordova will handle that...

Why not use two devices and do as was first proposed by Kilian or me?

Cheers,

José

It is a costing thing

Tjaart,

Just to be sure, you're talking about a Raspberry Pi, but also a mobile app? A Raspberry Pi running Android? I don't think it's possible to have a mobile app with two screens (multi monitor Android?), Cordova or no, and neither is it to run two apps in two different screens.

The newer Android versions allow for multi window, so this might just be possible.  There are a few android flavours that run on Raspberry Pi, some Tablet, Android TV and even Cyanogen mod roms run on Raspberry Pi.  They have bugs and niggles, like video issues when streaming on Netflix or Youtube for longer than 10 seconds or scrubbing through the progress bar, but the apps that are less dependent on the GPU and is built with a more fluid layout actually do well on the Raspberry Pi.