Integration DLL questions

Integration DLL questions

Hi all,

I have been trying Outsystems for sometime and now I am going to start using Integration Studio with some DLL made in vb.net, but I got some questions prior to start it.

In the Import Actions from .NET Assembly Wizard - step 3 I need to choose the actions to import, but besides my functions, it shows other functions like ToString(), Equals() and GetHashCode().

Are those functions needed to import as actions or not?

Abílio Matos

Hi Abillo!  

Welcome to the fun of Integration Studio!  There's a few things happening when you go through the wizard...first you can select various "actions" to use and second it loads the library as a reference to the extension.  In my experience I only click on the actions if I want to figure out how something actually works (might be faster than reading all that code).  Choose only the actions you believe would complete the flow: connect, do something, output something.

When you're done figuring out how it all works, I would actually start a new extension and this time - don't check any of the boxes!  The library will be loaded but now you can create the OS wrapper actions based on what you learned.  For instance if your test to connect was something like: Get this, Get that, Connect Here, Output That (in 4 separate bubbles)...you would create your single action wrapper with inputs (this, that, here) and output (that).  

Click on edit source code and use those variables to call the original methods!  

A bit wordy response but let me know if it helps!  

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your answer. That was what I was thinking but it's always better to know what you guys do.

Other question is if one of the actions I am going to integrate has a call to another DLL, should i integrate that DLL too or isn't needed?

Abílio Matos

Hi Abílio,

If you don't need to execute code from the other DLL yourself, it shouldn't be needed - Integration Studio will detect the dependency and add both DLLs to the extension files.

You can check this: after importing actions from the DLL, go to the Resources tab (on the left pane). There, it should appear both the DLL you chose and its dependencies.

Cheers,

Pedro Guimarães