DB External, Enable Process Event

DB External, Enable Process Event

Hi there,

How to enable this for external database extension entity? (It is not clickable)

Thank you in advance.

regards,

I

Hello Putu,

Afaik (I may be wrong thou), Triggering process and so on (BPT) is only possible on OutSystems entities, not external entities.

Cheers.

Hello Edu,

So how to work around this use case? Can i use just "explicit" launch action after insert that external records in lieu of using "disable" implicit launch-on property?

Thank you.

regards,

I   

Hi Putu.

If you control the entity, yes, you can do this. 

If amy other app can create records, you can also create a timer to check periodically for new records and start the process.

Cheers

Is it also impossible to use external database event for human and wait activities and also for conditional flow?

Thank you,

Regards,

I

Is it correct that we can NOT use external table's action to trigger the process, flow, and activities in BPT? What is the reasoning behind this - as i am thinking that once integrated, the external entity is treated the same with Outsystems entity.

regards,

Gede

Solution

Putu wrote:

Is it also impossible to use external database event for human and wait activities and also for conditional flow?

Thank you,

Regards,

I

Yes, it is also not possible.
As Far As I know, only "real" OutSystems entities can be used directly in OnClose and so on, as to this to be possible, you also need the entity to have its process exposed, what is not possible with External entities.

Cheers.

Solution

Hi Gede,

I can't say the "why" for sure. But I can speculate that the reasoning is that the BPT is a very "delicate" thing and to guarantee a minimun of stability, the platform need to be in complete control of things. And this would not be possible with an external entity.

Cheers.

Thank you very much Sir,

This information is very helpful as we are now in early sprint - sprint 2 -where we use external DB and the next sprints will jump highly into BPT. Not knowing this limitation can reset the scrump's way we already walking. Fotunately, we know now in early sprint. 

Thank you and best regards,

I

As far as I know, BPT start on/closed on events are implemented using database triggers.

Outsystems Platform cannot create the necessary database triggers if database is external.

As for best practice goes, never used automatic event like start on/closed on event.

It will become a headache when you need to do maintenance (adding record, update record, etc), since it may trigger unwanted event.

Better trigger your process manually:

- Launch Process

- Close Human Activity / Wait

- Start Conditional Start

Hi  Harlin,

there is complexity as calling to launch a process must be included in every code that trigger the process.

regards,

I

1. How many action that you need to launch the process?

I believe launch process manually will be more worrhed than headache when you accidentally start process when doing maintenance (inserting a record or bulk records into approval table)

2. You mean close activity of Human Activity explicitly?

Use ActivityClose from BPT API.

Watch this course: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/courses/17/master-class-on-modeling-business-processes-bpt/

Specifically this: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/lesson/918/use-apis-to-programmatically-control-a-process/