OutSystems Express Edition: XSP Web Server or IIS?

OutSystems Express Edition: XSP Web Server or IIS?

OutSystems Express Edition needs a web server to publish its applications so, if during installation Microsoft Internet Information Services is not detected on the computer (IIS is not available in Windows XP Home for example), a light web server called XSP Web Server is installed.

This web server can be started and stopped using Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services->XSP Web Server.

If later on you wish to install IIS (Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Add/Remove Windows Components) and publish to that server, you can go to C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Center\ServerSetup.exe and, on the Network tab, change the web server that you want to publish your applications to.

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Hi,

My setup is just what is desct«ribed, and I followed all the instructions....

however, what I get when opening the StartPage (http://localhost/StartPage), I get error status: HTTP 404

I think I can assure that IIS is working correctly because if I try to open just http://localhost, I get all the default IIS stuff, i.e. "IIS 5.1 welcome message" and another window with a "IIS documentation browser"

Any help greatly appreciated
Hi Shamaho,

If you have changed the web server I think you might need to reinstall OutSystems Service Center (running C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Center\SCInstall.bat) and then login to OutSystems Service Center (http://localhost/servicecenter) and republish all eSpaces.

Hope this helps,
Tiago Simões
Hi

Unfortuntely that didn't fix it as well.

I did run the C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Service Center\SCInstall.bat but I saw some sort of error dump, then the DOS box closes and I don't know where the error log or dump was saved to or if indeed does get saved somewhere...

I'll try a variation... which is opening the DOS box (you can tell I'm an old hand at this no?) I meant the CMD window and from there invoking the SCInstall.bat

but I'm not very confidant in that, I suspect that IIS does not know about the ServiceCenter "website" or directory or whatever... i.e. does not have a "Virtual Server" (to use Apache lingo) pointing to the ServiceCenter directory

-- one hour later: I managed to get the error log, which goes like this... (and I must confess, the error message seem to point to a newbie mistake...), BTW I tried the above with the MS firewall both "Up" as well as "Down".

Service Center Installer v4.1.3.15

Start installing Service Center v4.1.3.15...

Publishing Extension(s)...
Reading Service Center oml file information...
Adding Service Center eSpace to database...
Compiling Service Center eSpace...
Preparing Service Center eSpace deployment...
Creating Service Center default tenant...
Deploying Service Center eSpace...
Message 1
Id : ErrorBroadcastingToNode
Type : Error
Submitable : False
Details :
Error broadcasting message to node ntf1-webreg (127.0.0.1)):System.Net.Sockets.S
ocketException: Nenhuma ligação pôde ser feita porque o computador de destino as

recusou activamente

Server stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddre
ss socketAddress)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket(EndPoint
ipEndPoint)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSocket(String machinePortA
ndSid, Boolean openNew)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.SendRequestWit
hRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage
(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITranspor
tHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMess
age(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage req
Msg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgDa
ta, Int32 type)
at OutSystems.HubEdition.IBroadcastListener.MessageTransmission(BroadcastMess
age msg)
at #Ug.#0g.#hi(BroadcastMessage msg).
HelpRef : 2091
ExtraInfo :
Exception Details:
[1] Publishing Error: Error broadcasting message to node ntf1-webreg (127.0.0.1)
):System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Nenhuma ligação pôde ser feita porque o co
mputador de destino as
recusou activamente

Hi,

The Service Center virtual directory should be created by scinstall (when it finishes correctly).

Regarding the problem can you please check
a) if all OutSystems services are running (start>control panel>administrative tools>services)
b) If you don't have Skype listening to port 80 (skype>tools>options>connections)
c) if you have configured the platform correctly to use IIS as explained in the first post

Cheers,
Tiago Simões
Before running SCInstall.bat, you must run the OutSystems Configuration Tool (ServerSetup.exe) and in the "Network" tab change "Web Server" from "XSP Web Server" to "Internet Information Services"

Best Regards,
Gustavo Guerra
Hi again,

All of the above were done, so I'm giving up and moving to plan B, which is un-installing Outsystems and starting again from scratch but this time with IIS already present.

Thanks for the time though

P.S. - I haven't mentioned the environment I'm runinng this in

Windows XP SP2 (clean install) running as a VMWare instance with NAT networking.
I've also disabled lots of services (using only my supposedly good sense) in order to release system resources and get a more responsive VM