Re-installation of the Platform server

Re-installation of the Platform server

Currently two environments QAS and Prod are installed on the C drive. This is not according to the our our standards. The C Drive is being used for the Operating systems and underlying component of the Operating systems. 

We would like reinstall the OutSystems Platform from C drive and reinstall it on D drive. However currently we have few applications already deployed in our QAS and Prod.  So what is the consequences? Will the existed application still work after that Platform is reinstalled on D drive?

Hi Ahmad,

The most important thing in your OutSystems environment is metadata and runtime databases. So, all your application will be stored on that. When you publish them, the platform will regenerate the code and publish it in the running/sharing folder inside Outsystems Platform installation directory.

So, you can remove it from C drive, and reinstall it on D drive, but using the same database configurations (server, instances, databases and credentials). When you run the configuration tool with this same configuration, platform will publish alll your applications in the new drive. Just to double check, it is recommend you create a solution and republish it on service center.

Don´t forget to backup all your environments (database and maybe a ghost image for your server). If you are using a virtual machine, clone it , it is a good idea.

I recommend 2 possible ways:

1. you clone one of your environments entirely  and try to do this procedure there. So, you will not affect your main server.

(or)

2. you can install a new one machine with platform in drive D and put this machine in farm with the first one. So, you will see this frontend (see the installation checklist for details)  running well. After that , promote your new machine as your deployment controller and disable the old one. Check it is still working.  Finally, you stops the old machine and your new environment will works as you desire.

Best regards

Fabio Fantato

Hi Ahmad,

If you reinstall your platform and use the same database it won't work, because in outsystems database will keep the information about the old installation.

For this you will need to know where to change that information in database.

However, if your applications use a data catalog different, you could reinstall from scratch and point to catalog again. This way you don't lost your data, but you will need publish all applications.

Hi Paulo, 

We have installed the Platform server on Permis, each Environment has his own Application and DB server. 

So you mean, if we re-install the Platform server, then we have to also teak in DB? Do you know what to change in DB exactly? any information will be very helpful. 

thanks, Walid 

Ahmad Walid wrote:

Hi Paulo, 

We have installed the Platform server on Permis, each Environment has his own Application and DB server. 

So you mean, if we re-install the Platform server, then we have to also teak in DB? Do you know what to change in DB exactly? any information will be very helpful. 

thanks, Walid 

If I'm not mistaken, in outsystems database we have a table named OSSYS_PARAMETER, you will need look for any record about directory and folders.

I will try to find a document that says more about it, but my suggestion for you is TEST or OPEN to support more information.
I already made this way and work, but I tested it before.

Hi Paulo, 

Indeed. Following post from 2008 relates to that:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/3556/moving-outsystems-hub-platform-server-to-a-new-location-on-your-server/

It mentions:

Confirm in the database (OSSYS_PARAMETER table) that all settings with a folder name (column VAL) point to the correct place. If you have multiple front-ends, only update the lines for the correct server (column HOST).
You can locate the settings which contain folder locations by searching by the old path, e.g.
select * from ossys_parameter where val like '%C:\Program Files\OutSystems\Platform Server%'

Is this still valid for Platform Server 10? 

Best regards,

Harry

Harry and Paulo, 

If you only reinstall in the same machine, you are right, you need to do this change in ossys_parameter to be sure the platform will works as expected.

But If you do the second one , it is not necessary , because the farm configuration will update the metadata correctly. 

Best Regards

Fabio Fantato

Fantato wrote:

Harry and Paulo, 

If you only reinstall in the same machine, you are right, you need to do this change in ossys_parameter to be sure the platform will works as expected.

But If you do the second one , it is not necessary , because the farm configuration will update the metadata correctly. 

Best Regards

Fabio Fantato

I get your point and I agree with you, it's better. but I'm thinking, will you need a new license for that new controller? I don't remember. :)

Paulo Ricardo Fagundes Júnior wrote:

Fantato wrote:

Harry and Paulo, 

Best Regards

Fabio Fantato

I get your point and I agree with you, it's better. but I'm thinking, will you need a new license for that new controller? I don't remember. :)

When you install the second frontend, the serial number is still the same and they will uses the same license. But after you put both frontend on the air, you need turn off the first controller and put the second one on the air. Only one controller should be on for each environment.