Passing a database record (row) as a parameter to another screen

Passing a database record (row) as a parameter to another screen

I have a database entity which I am using to display some of its fields in a list (brief information). Since I am not using all fields in that screen, is it possible to pass a whole record to another screen which I am going to use to show more details of that entity? Would it be possible if I just drag&drop the whole enitity to the list widget instead of some of its fields?

Solution

Hi Evgeni,

Screen parameters are encoded in the URL - this is not something Platform related, but the way HTTP works. Therefore parameters are limited to those of a simple type. If you would want to pass large amount of data, you would need to encode this data, but I would not advise this.

What the standard way of dealing with this is, is to pass the Id that identifies your data to the detail screen, and query in the Preperation all the detail data you need. Another advantage of this approach is that on the list Screen, you needn't query all the detail data, which will greatly improve performance.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Evgeni,

Screen parameters are encoded in the URL - this is not something Platform related, but the way HTTP works. Therefore parameters are limited to those of a simple type. If you would want to pass large amount of data, you would need to encode this data, but I would not advise this.

What the standard way of dealing with this is, is to pass the Id that identifies your data to the detail screen, and query in the Preperation all the detail data you need. Another advantage of this approach is that on the list Screen, you needn't query all the detail data, which will greatly improve performance.

That makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome!