[Barcode Plugin] Problem with ios 11

[Barcode Plugin] Problem with ios 11

Forge Component
(7)
Published on 31 Oct (14 days ago) by OutSystems R&D
7 votes
Published on 31 Oct (14 days ago) by OutSystems R&D

"This plugin works fine with Android and ios in OutsystemsNow, but when building native application, in ios 11 devices (11.1.2) it asks permission to use camera. After granting access, reader stops directly (without going to barcode view) giving error "A scan is already in progress."  I just wonder why functionality is dfferent with outsystemNow and native, since this should be buided as external plugin also in outsystemsNow? And more intresting is how to get this working with latest ios devices?

Solution

Esa Saarinen wrote:

"This plugin works fine with Android and ios in OutsystemsNow, but when building native application, in ios 11 devices (11.1.2) it asks permission to use camera. After granting access, reader stops directly (without going to barcode view) giving error "A scan is already in progress."  I just wonder why functionality is dfferent with outsystemNow and native, since this should be buided as external plugin also in outsystemsNow? And more intresting is how to get this working with latest ios devices?

There is now more robust fixed version available for this in github: https://github.com/OutSystems/csZBar/pull/4

Thanks for Mikko N!

This fix works in native apps and seems it is working OutsystemsNow published before 3.4.2018, but not with current OutsystemsNow version.

[OutsystemsNow] [Barcode Plugin] Barcode scanner

Solution

Is there any idea when this fix can also be applied to the latest version of Outsystems now? I'm having the exact same issue with the barcode (but then in the outsystems now application), but the people that use it do not have the knowledge how to install an older version of the application on their iphones which results in them not being able to do anything. 

I was hoping Outsystems now responsibles are are following this forum, to get same fix in outsystems now app, since I guess there is not other way around this problem. Or even put previous version somehow available, since it seemed to work perfectly. 

Same problem. Barcode plugin is not working on iOS (tested on iOS 11, both on OutSytems Now and app).

I want to clarify wrong assumptions I had in time of writing initial post. OutsystemsNow is including own versions of plugins and current 2.0.9 version  has buggy version of barcode plugin. Fix is available here https://github.com/OutSystems/csZBar/pull/4  (Thanks to Mikko N), but Outsystems Now experts just need to publish fixed version. Maybe bugreport  for Outsystems is needed to speed up this fix? (Publishing even previous version would fix this bug immediately and give more time for further development.) 

Outsystems Now is great tool and it would be nice to have available with full functionality also for Ios.  

For your native apps, you can just include fixed version from above link.   Here is tutorial how to do that: https://www.outsystems.com/learn/lesson/801/plugins/

@Esa Saarienen Thanks for the response.

Hey guys,

We're aware of the issue in OutSystems Now. We are fixing it as we speak and we intend to release a new OutSystems Now version next week.

Regarding the plugin in generated apps, are you using the latest version? We recently (28th March) updated the plugin to support iOS 11. Can you confirm if you are using the latest version?

Regards,

Ricardo Alves

@Ricardo Alves: I can confirm I am using the latest version. Yesterday I upgraded from the Forge to confirm I was using the latest version, and it still didn't work after re-deploying the mobile application.

Acc-DSD-LatAm wrote:

@Ricardo Alves: I can confirm I am using the latest version. Yesterday I upgraded from the Forge to confirm I was using the latest version, and it still didn't work after re-deploying the mobile application.

Hello,

After upgrading from the Forge, did you regenerate and reinstall the app on your mobile device?

Remember that upgrading a plugin is one of the scenarios where you need to generate a new mobile app and have your users update it.

Best regards,

Carlos Simões

Yes, I re-deployed and I tested on OutSystems Now (it displayed the application was updated). Is OutSystems Now also updated?

Carlos Simões wrote:

Acc-DSD-LatAm wrote:

Hello,

After upgrading from the Forge, did you regenerate and reinstall the app on your mobile device?

Remember that upgrading a plugin is one of the scenarios where you need to generate a new mobile app and have your users update it.

Best regards,

Carlos Simões

Acc-DSD-LatAm wrote:

Yes, I re-deployed and I tested on OutSystems Now (it displayed the application was updated). Is OutSystems Now also updated?

That's the thing: the plugin was updated on your server, but the underlying iOS code was not (it's still the same OutSystems Now application version).

We're currently working on getting the fixed plugin onto a new OutSystems Now version and will release it to the store as soon as we have an opening. In the meantime, generating an iOS mobile app for testing purposes would work. Is this a viable approach?

@Esa Saarinen: can you confirm if you have tried to update the plugin to version 2.1.0 and regenerated your mobile app? If so, could you get in touch with us via support case, so we can analyse the issue together?

Best regards,

Carlos Simões

Hi Carlos,

I am having the same issue in iOS. When i click scan it doesn't open the scanner and second time i press it throws an error Scan is already in progress. 

I am using the latest version, updated the plugin and than tried to test through the outsystems app without success.

Regards,

Joao

Joao Siquenique wrote:

Hi Carlos,

I am having the same issue in iOS. When i click scan it doesn't open the scanner and second time i press it throws an error Scan is already in progress. 

I am using the latest version, updated the plugin and than tried to test through the outsystems app without success.

Regards,

Joao

I see. Then it falls into what I said: the plugin was updated on your server, but the underlying iOS code was not (it's still the same OutSystems Now application version).

We're currently working on getting the fixed plugin onto a new OutSystems Now version and will release it to the App store as soon as we have an opening.

Are you able to generate a mobile app to test your developments?

Best regards,

Carlos Simões

Hi Carlos,

Sorry my bad. I thought was the other way around. That we could test in your app.

Yes i could generate the mobile app and it works.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Joao

No worries, João.

If do need to test your app using OutSystems Now, for some reason, please let us know via support case, so we can help.

Best regards,

Carlos Simões

Hi,

Yesterday a new version of the OutSystems Now was released, and it has the Barcode scanner plugin updated. If you update the OutSystems Now app, everything should be fine.

You can get the app from iTunes.

Thank You,

Bruno

@Bruno Grácio: Yes!!! It's working now.