Display JSON API data

Hi.

I'm trying to display some data I am getting from a REST API, I'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly but i've been looking all day and I can't seem to do it. I hope the attatched screenshot helps in some way. I'm fairly new to this so if you could please be fairly basic in your response(s).

Thanks.

Throupy

I did not understand your doubt. For the image you consumed a rest point and want to display the content?

See this link, I think help you:

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Extensibility_and_Integration/REST/Consume_REST_APIs/Consume_a_REST_API

Hello Owen,

Sorry, but I have to ask... Did you did the Online training on Mobile?

If not, you should. If you did, I'm not able to figure out the question.

You have a method. Call it, process the data the way you want and show it in the screen...

:)

I want to get up-to-date data from here:

http://environment.data.gov.uk/flood-monitoring/id/stations/1773/readings.json?_sorted¶meter=rainfall&today

and I want to display it in my mobile application

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Owen,

You have a method. Call it, process the data the way you want and show it in the screen...

Training is not useful if you do not show how to create an app from scratch, just showing PPT is not enough.

Hello Owen,

I'm sorry for the so late reply, but I didn't received the notification when you post (probably a temporary problem in the community alerts at that time). Do you still need help with that?

Cheers.

Narendra Kothamire wrote:

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

Hello Owen,

Training is not useful if you do not show how to create an app from scratch, just showing PPT is not enough.

Hello Narendra,

I agree.
But the OutSystems Online trainings have more than one application built from scratch during the training, not only the presentations.

Cheers.

It would have been better if trainer would have shown how to create todo app from scratch with live coding 

It would have been better if trainer would have shown how to create todo app from scratch with live coding 

I disagree.

When somone "shows" you how to do a task, you have much less absortion of information and knowledge being created than when it is you that do the task. 

That's the reason the applications are done by the trainee, first with a step-by-step, later without it.

Cheers

Eduardo Jauch wrote:

I disagree.

When somone "shows" you how to do a task, you have much less absortion of information and knowledge being created than when it is you that do the task. 

That's the reason the applications are done by the trainee, first with a step-by-step, later without it.

Cheers

It's just my suggestion if you do that I am sure you would receive the positive response from developers, all training sites like Udacity, Pluralsight, Lynda, Udemy etc do the same

All suggestions are valid.

Not everybody has to agree, right?

My experience says that a person learns more when doing things by their own, without someone "showing" them. And science says the same, like that reading, in general, is much better for assimilate information in depth than seeing. 

It is all about how the brain works.

And in this particular case, you have in each training path, at least one complete application where there is a document with all the steps to complete the application. You just have to read it instead and do some effort (that is good for you) instead of simply mimic someone doing the same thing. 

Cheers.

It's just my suggestion if you do that I am sure you would receive the positive response from developers, all training sites like Udacity, Pluralsight, Lynda, Udemy etc do the same

Hi Narendra,

Just my two cents on the topic of live coding... it's very interesting as a demo, not so much as training goes. OutSystems training until OutSystems 10 came out was exactly like that... someone doing the code and orally explaining things. That was the approach for many years, and people also learned, you are right... but I got to see how people learnt first-hand, and in a lot of situations they were replicating the movements on screen but not really getting much into their heads (and even that was not only error prone but lead to lots of people spending half their time going back and forward in the video to see what was being done, because they couldn't code and follow it at the same rhythm).

The current approach separates the concepts from the practical implementation, still provides the same level of guidance (instead of seeing it be done, you have step-by-step instructions, which you can follow/read at your own, not the trainer's) and is easier to use as reference later (and has lots of extra tidbits of information that help understand why that's the right way of doing something). You can argue that things are not so clear or obvious now, but I'd say that's not a problem of the approach itself, but of the specific implementation (maybe it's missing some screenshots, maybe some instructions caould be clearer, etc).

With this approach, OutSystems is trying to get people to learn not copy (and potentially not even understand) what they see others doing.

Finally... I find this topic extremely interesting, and like to understand other points of view regarding training, but given the original topic, I don't think this is the right place for it. If you wish to continue, please open a new topic on the training methodology and how you would see it improved and I'll be happy to take part in the discussion.

Hi 

I am not saying that you should not provide the pdf provide both the things take an app such as todo, Do it from scratch so that it would cover all topics like DB, network call, validation etc and we will get the basic idea about the flow then we can explore further.

And about the approach, it has been used for years that how we study in school and colleges otherwise only books would have been sufficed to learn new things.

You people are from Outsystems and you can easily understand those things but that may not be same for others

Narendra,

Different countries, different cultures, different ways of learning... for instance, it's the first time I hear someone studies from live-coding videos in higher education. I always studied from books and written materials (maybe that's a sign of the ages already). I'm also not from OutSystems, and even the people that are had to learn it from scratch when they started, just like you and me.

I have an idea (that I suggest you first run through the OutSystems Training team, as you'd be using copyrighted material): you follow the exercises in detail and create the live-coding video as a service to the community! Like you mention, I'm sure that approach could be interesting to a lot of people that feel like you.

By the way, the OutSystems Training team has just posted a survey where you can probably provide this sort of suggestion and other feedback on training you may have. Feel free to let them know about your learning experience!

# Why there is no book titled like "Outsystems Bible Platform 11" such that all people from level newbie to professional can read it?

# For newbie, it is easily to get lost in learning Outsystems because some topics require to have some basics.

# Moreover the Outsystems is so productive that there are many Platform versions in a year such that some documents or information will mix up among versions.

regards

Hi

It has nothing to do with countries and cultures and even I have studies from books and study material but Outsystems is not providing any book or study material, books and study material are definitely required but still, we go to universities and attend lectures, they don't show only ppt they explain the things in bit depth.

and one example from renowned Standford University teaching iOS development by developing calculator app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HitSIzPM_6E

They should also give ppt instead of creating this course of around 24hrs   

Hello all,

I realized that we started to drift away from the question and start discussing other topic not related to the OP question.

As the OP seems to be inactive since when the question was posted, I'll close this topic to prevent this discussion to keep going.

Please, to all that wants to discuss the OutSystems training process, use adequate channels, like here https://www.outsystems.com/forums/Forum_TopicList.aspx?ForumId=59&Index=0

Hope you all understand.

Cheers.