App deployment to other environment

App deployment to other environment

Hi OutSystems Guru’s,

Recently we created a bunch of web applications that have been deployed to our production environment with the mechanism the platform provides (sources below).

We’re fairly new to the platform and trying to understand how we can deploy our applications to customers environments (thus not our own environments). It seems that the platform is not capable to support this mechanism or are we missing something here? In other words, how can we deploy our application (initial installation) or updates on other environments than our own?

Source (Deploy an Application)

https://success.outsystems.com/Documentation/10/Managing_the_Applications_Lifecycle/Deploy_Applications/Deploy_an_Application

Source (How does OutSystems handle deployment and staging?)

https://success.outsystems.com/Evaluation/Lifecycle_Management/0_How_does_OutSystems_handle_deployment_and_staging

Cheers

Solution

Hi,

You can create a solution in Service Center and add all the required modules.

Download it.

Pass through the IPP, in Outsystem website. To this you will need the activation code of the client environment.

The, publish the solution in the client's environment (Through Service Center).

Don't know if there is any other way, as to deploy an app from one environment to another using life, they need to be registered in life (don't know if it is possible to register an environment from another infrastructure)

This procedure will not work if one of the environments it is a personal one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Solution

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your prompt response. It sounds like a cumbersome process but I'll try to execute your steps. Also what you mentioned from an environment to another infrastructure might be a challenge for us. It makes me doubt if this platform is ready for enterprise setups where you deploy apps to different environments and infrastructures. Any thoughts about this topic are welcome...

Cheers

LPMG

I think you are mixing a few concepts.

1. Outsystems has an infrastructure setup, meaning you can have several environments (Dev, Test, Production, etc.) within the same infrastructure
  2. It provides means for you to deploy applications between environments of the same infrastructure (via lifetime or via solution deployment)
  3. It also provides the so called IPP (Intelectual Property Protection) so you can't install code from one infrastructure to a different infrastructure without permission

What Eduardo mentioned is the way of deploying applications between authorized infrastructures, meaning between your infrastructure and a client's infrastructure

Once deployed to the client's infrastructure, then you can use the already mentioned mechanisms to deploy it between environments

There is also the option of creating a SaaS model for your applications (Multitenant models), but that means that the code is still only executed/maintained in one infrastructure

Hope this clarifies it a bit

Best regards,

PC

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the info. Though I am trying to understand this part...

• There is also the option of creating a SaaS model for your applications (Multitenant models), but that means that the code is still only executed/maintained in one infrastructure

Does this mean that OutSystems doesn't support vendor to client distribution? In other words, we'll create a bunch of applications that needs to be published to other environments thus other infrastructures. We want to develop and maintain the applications on our environments and distribute them to our clients.

Cheers,

Hello LPMG,

OutSystems support. Afaik, the "Solution" method is the way to transfer applications between different infrastructures.

Lifetime will work only inside the same infrastructure.

You can add environments to your infrastructure:

https://success.outsystems.com/Support/Enterprise_Customers/Licensing/02_Manage_and_Upgrade/02_add_a_new_environment_to_your_infrastructure

But I'm not sure if it is possible to add a client's environment to your infrastructure... (or the impact).

Between isolated infrastructures, the solution method will work and it is fairly simple.

If you want to build a "product" you should talk to OutSystems about joining the ISV program. It lets you create your code in your infrastructure, then license it for your client's infrastructure. Unlike IPP, only YOU can do this, they can't just get a copy of the code, put it through IPP on their own, and use your code without your permission.

J.Ja

Nice, Justin. Didn't know about the "Product" possibility :)

Thanks for sharing the info.

To my knowledge that is not how the ISV program works, but I will look into that...

Best regards,

PC

I am curious about the outcome. Looking forward to your answer.

---

Pedro Coelho wrote:

To my knowledge that is not how the ISV program works, but I will look into that...

Best regards,

PC