[SFTP] POST-function

[SFTP] POST-function

Forge Component
(9)
Published on 2016-09-24 by Wei Zhu
9 votes
Published on 2016-09-24 by Wei Zhu

I have been working with this plugin and i was wondering if the Put-function can fully replace the POST-function seeing as the POST is not included and the Put is.

Hi Bart,

I'm not sure what you mean. "PUT" is an FTP (and hence SFTP) command to copy a local file to the remote server (the opposite of GET). "POST" is not an FTP command but an HTTP command. Are you sure you don't mix up things?

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Bart,

I'm not sure what you mean. "PUT" is an FTP (and hence SFTP) command to copy a local file to the remote server (the opposite of GET). "POST" is not an FTP command but an HTTP command. Are you sure you don't mix up things?

Hi Killian,

I found the following online in an article about HTTP commands;

The POST method is used to submit an entity to the specified resource, often causing a change in state or side effects on the server.
PUT

The PUT method replaces all current representations of the target resource with the request payload

So i was wondering if a target can be specified with Put as well.

Hi Bart,

That's what I mean about confusion, those are HTTP commands. However, SFTP is not HTTP, it's a different protocol. "PUT" is an FTP (and hence SFTP) command, but it's a totally different thing from HTTP PUT.