Sharing an application

Sharing an application

Hi,

I currently have a personal environment and have created an application that i want to transfer to a different person. He is interested in the application and would like to have it available for him, and possibly to develop it further later on.

I have read:

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/34665/sharing-application/ 

https://www.outsystems.com/forums/discussion/33019/sharing-an-application-with-fellow-students-possible/ 

In the second post, he is talking about exporting an XML, but then he wont be able to publish or edit.

Any advice on this, or is this indeed impossible?

Hi Tim,

This is basically not possible. PEs are set up in such a way that sharing apps is not possible. But you can always contact OutSystems Support and ask them for the possibilities.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Tim,

This is basically not possible. PEs are set up in such a way that sharing apps is not possible. But you can always contact OutSystems Support and ask them for the possibilities.

Hey Kilian,

What about Sharing the application on the Forge, letting him download it and then deleting it from the Forge?

Note: I have never used the Forge like this, so no clue if this would work.

Hi Tim,

Yes, this is possible, but it is strongly discouraged.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Tim,

Yes, this is possible, but it is strongly discouraged.

I have created a normal Support ticket. In case i don't get a good solution, I will go for the 'bad' way and use the Forge. I know the Forge is not meant to be used this way at all, but if Outsystems does not give us the oppurtunity to share / transfer a project, I will have to look for workarounds.

Thanks for the reply,

I take it the reason i mentioned is why it is discouraged, in case there are other reasons, please let me know.

Hi Tim,

Indeed, the Forge is for sharing products with the outside world, not for stripping the IPP. Even if you quickly delete it afterwards, it'll still end up in the OutSystems database, clogging things up. But I agree with you that OS should allow some way of sharing PE apps a different way.

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

We make personal environments of OutSystems Platform available for free to any individual developer so they can easily experience first-hand the power of our rapid application delivery solution.

According to its Terms of Use, personal environments should be used for self-training, development of personal applications, and components to be shared with the OutSystems Community. OutSystems policy prevents the export of components from your personal environment.

As always, developers may list their projects as open source in the OutSystems Forge to share with our community.

Since this is the response from the support, I will propably do the Forge method. It is a shame that we need to use such a workaround to share an app.

In order to make for a better tomorrow i have created an "Idea" for sharing an application.

https://www.outsystems.com/ideas/4818/sharing-personal-apps

Feel free to respond to it, and add comments so it might get some traction.

Thanks for the help.

Solution