searching the content of all attached files in the table

searching the content of all attached files in the table

Hi Team,

I have table records in which the details of the student is displayed along with his attached file. Now, I want  to search the content in that attached file as the normal search we do in outsystems using filter in preparation. where I have the attachment entity to store all the attached files.

Please help me in this.

Thanks,

Sri Vaishnavi.

Hi Sri,

This is not possible.

EDIT: Note that this isn't a limitation of OutSystems, but it's just not how things work.

Hi Sri,

One possible solution would be to extract the contents of the files and store them as text in the database. This way, it would be possible to search them.

Yes, if you have plain text, searching is possible, allbeit probably pretty slow. But if I would guess Sri has PDFs, Word documents and the like.

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Yes, if you have plain text, searching is possible, allbeit probably pretty slow. But if I would guess Sri has PDFs, Word documents and the like.

Yeah kilian, file can be pdf,word doc etc.,

Aurelio Junior wrote:

Hi Sri,

One possible solution would be to extract the contents of the files and store them as text in the database. This way, it would be possible to search them.

Hi Aurelio,

How extract the contents of files and store them as text in DB??

Hi Sri,

You're going to have to look for a Forge component that allows you to extract the contents of the file formats that your application accepts or build one yourself.

Hello Sri,

Just an "opinion".

If this is a "requirement" from the client or a project manager, that the content of the different files should be included in the search, I would say that the client or the project manager do not know how things work.

Even if you find a way of search the content of the different types of files, what I think you will not or it will require a lot of effort, you will end up with a complete useless application, that will not deliver any search results or worse, will timeout. 

Also, storing the file content as text is a really bad idea.

If you want to allow some search, use the name of the file, and maybe add a TAG system that the user can use to filter the results.

Cheers.

Hi Eduardo,

Just my two cents: expecting an application to be able to extract, store and search the contents of a document is not really that strange. Actually, it's a very common requirement for Document Management systems. And there are ways to optimize the storage, indexing and search of the data, to make sure the application performs well.

Regards!

Hi Aurelio,

Though I agree with the general gist of what you wrote, we can safely rule out the OP wanted to build a document mangement system. I think the advice Eduardo gave is valid for the given use case.

Hello Aurélio,

Document Management Systems are not simple applications.
And optimization is not for junior developers or developers not fully confortable with a given tool.

If it was the case, than I would say that the Project manager was also insane of asking this from someone that does not have the knowledge to work through a solution (than my comment about the uselles application, at the end).

But yes, it is possible. :)