Mobile App: Save Image as an actual file

Mobile App: Save Image as an actual file

I'm using outsystems person edition with a shared space. I figured out how to upload a file and save it as a binary data field in my entity. Is there a way to save it at the same time as an actual FILE? I'm trying outsystems out for my company and we're looking for a way to actually get an image as a file so it's easier to do other things wit (obviously if we go for the upper-level editions where we install locally). 

Hi Brian,

Not sure what you try to achive, you upload a file from your mobile to an entity. Then you want to save it but where? 

You could create a web app, make a dependency to the entity that contains the binary of the uploaded files.

Create some user interface that user select which record (file) to download

On the action to download the file use the download widget instead of the end node.

Regards,

Daniel

Daniël Kuhlmann wrote:

Hi Brian,

Not sure what you try to achive, you upload a file from your mobile to an entity. Then you want to save it but where? 

You could create a web app, make a dependency to the entity that contains the binary of the uploaded files.

Create some user interface that user select which record (file) to download

On the action to download the file use the download widget instead of the end node.

Regards,

Daniel

Sorry, I should have been more specific. 

My intention is ultimately, when we decide to proceed with Outsystems, to get one of the licenses and install the platform on our own servers on our AD domain. At that point we ultimately want these files saved as a file on the server (or network share on the server, etc). The mobile app would only be the front end where the image comes from.. no need to download anything from the app. Basically a nightly process would pick up the actual file for use elsewhere... and it would be easier if it was just an actual file instead of having to write an extra bit of code to take the data from the DB and stream  it to a file.

I guess ultimately the way I would go would be to set up my own API interface to the DB and take the binary data and the API would then save it to a server as a file. But I was just wondering it there might be an easier way

Hi Brian,

Well I think there are several solutions possible, for example:

• Use OutSystems Integration Studio to implement your solution
  • Or use FTP Forge component to store the binaries on a FTP server
  • Or use cloud solutions like Cloudinary (Forge component) with Example application available on the Forge.

Either way, I don't see why your requirements could not be met using OutSystems.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Brain,

The forge contains a component called FileSystem to do file stuff. I use this component to upload an XML file and store it on a network share for processing it with a timer process.  The component contains also actions to support binary files. I think this component will be able to do the things what you are looking for, based on your request.

Regards,

Peter