Deployment time for a Forge App

Deployment time for a Forge App

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a quick question for everyone about the reality in deploying a Forge app into a production environment.

In our example, we want to deploy the Field Services Mobile app with all of the out-of-box functionality and a REST integration to a legacy Dispatch application.

My question comes down to this. How long is a realistic timeframe to expect to deploy the Forge Field Services app with out-of-box functionality and one integration?  Is it 4 weeks?  Is it 10 weeks?  Does anyone have any experience in downloading/configuring/deploying this app?

OS used to have an Express Project team but I cannot find any news if they exist any longer.

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Solution

Hi Jason,

It depends on the integration, it depends on the size and composition of the development/test team, it depends on whether you already have an OutSystems installation (including user management etc.). But I would think 4 weeks is much more realistic than 10 (I'd say 2-3 weeks, depending on the experience with OutSystems etc.).

Solution

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jason,

It depends on the integration, it depends on the size and composition of the development/test team, it depends on whether you already have an OutSystems installation (including user management etc.). But I would think 4 weeks is much more realistic than 10 (I'd say 2-3 weeks, depending on the experience with OutSystems etc.).

Thanks Kilian, much appreciated!

Jason

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jason,

Hi Kilian,

Thanks again for the information, much appreciated.  I do, however, have a follow-up question related to the deployment of the Field Services App from the Forge.  Specifically, I have a customer who supports multiple customers on via a Field Services app. They have two questions that are critical to determine whether or not they move forward with OutSystems.  Hopefully you can answer these for me.

1.) The customer has the requirement that their field technicians can use the OS Field Services Mobile app to support multiple work orders from multiple customer projects at the same time. For example, during a typical work day, their field technicians complete work orders for 5 different enterprise customers (5 separate companies).  Each of these companies has signed a separate services contract with our customer to manage work orders for their end users.  So, the app must be able to support unique Work Orders for 5 different customers (most likely identification would be noted via a key field or unique identified. Examples might be ACME, ABC, IBM, WXW, etc...)  The Field Services Technicians just see a listing of work orders to be completed. However, in the Back Office, these Work Orders are associated to each enterprise customer for tracking, reporting, analytics, and billing purposes.  Lastly, given this requirement, do we need multi-tenancy or just the unique customer identifier so that the customer can see reports/dashboards specific to their uniquely identified work orders?

2.)  Dashboards - Can the Field Services Mobile App Back Office support dashboards for EACH customer?  The goal here is to have each customer have a view into the overall project status, the daily work orders completed vs. outstanding, and a few other metrics.  Can these customer-specific dashboards be created for each customer? And if they can, how is it done? Is it through the Silk UI Dashboard template?  

I've included a quick mock-up of my question. See attached.  Thanks in advance!  Jason

Hi Jason,

I must honestly admit that I haven't taken a look at the Field Services App in great detail, but I think I can answer your questions more generically.

1) Given that each customer is identified by a unique Id, you can just filter on this Id to be able to have the dashboard display only data associated with that customer. Multi-tenancy is not needed, or even desirable, in this case.

2) You can have a generic dashboard that filters on a specific customer (as stated above), but you an also create multiple types of dashboards, to your liking. You can use the SilkUI dashboard sample for that, but keep in mind that charts and tables are very easy to create and customize with OutSystems, so you could also develop them from scratch (after all, a dashboard is nothing but a few queries and pretty pictures).

Kilian Hekhuis wrote:

Hi Jason,

I must honestly admit that I haven't taken a look at the Field Services App in great detail, but I think I can answer your questions more generically.

1) Given that each customer is identified by a unique Id, you can just filter on this Id to be able to have the dashboard display only data associated with that customer. Multi-tenancy is not needed, or even desirable, in this case.

2) You can have a generic dashboard that filters on a specific customer (as stated above), but you an also create multiple types of dashboards, to your liking. You can use the SilkUI dashboard sample for that, but keep in mind that charts and tables are very easy to create and customize with OutSystems, so you could also develop them from scratch (after all, a dashboard is nothing but a few queries and pretty pictures).

Hi Kilian,

Thanks again!  Great to hear that we can do what the customer wants.  In the end, it is the Management Dashboards (or as you said, charts and tables...) as well as Dashboards for each of their external customers.

Thanks again!

Jason

No problem, as always glad I can help :).